• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Changes to the Hydrophobic Treatment Kit

NCHornet

I should Work at Oakley
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
I did a search and came up empty, if this isn't the right section, sorry, just made sense at the time, lol!!

OK, I have purchased the Hydrophobic kit a few times over the years when I could score a decent deal on one. The last one I purchased was a couple years ago. I don't use it on all my shades or even all the time, just when I get a notion. The ones in the past came in an Oakley container that came apart and held a microfiber cloth in half of the container and the other half held the actual product. You removed the lid and there is a chisel tip like a felt marker. With some downward pressure the liquid starts to flow and you spread it over all areas of the lenses, let dry, and then finish by polishing the lenses up with the cloth.

Well, I scored a good deal for another kit, yes it is the real deal, but when it arrived today it was clear this wasn't the same kit at all, even though the title was the same, that's were the likeness stops. Now it comes in a nylon ballistic pouch, I think that's how they describe it. It's just like the one that comes in their cleaning kit but a bit smaller. Inside you have the cloth but now there are 2 products used to complete the treatment. Inside there are 3 packs like you get at red lobster to wipe your greasy digits on. This is what Oakley calls component A. You take the moist towel out of the packet and you rub it on both sides of the lenses covering all surface area. Then you let it dry. Component B is contained in an aluminum pump sprayer like the one in the cleaning kit but smaller. The instructions say to spray this on both sides of the lenses on top of component A, also called the primer. Then use the cloth to wipe away any access and to polish the surface of the lenses.

I haven't used this new kit yet. I wanted to run it by some of y'all first and see what the masses say about this first. If needed I can post pics in the mornin. As always thanks for the info, this might be useful as a sticky thread, unless I'm the only one to question this? If so, Nevermind the sticky thang.
Later
NCH

I did a search and came up empty, if this isn't the right section, sorry, just made sense at the time, lol!!

OK, I have purchased the Hydrophobic kit a few times over the years when I could score a decent deal on one. The last one I purchased was a couple years ago. I don't use it on all my shades or even all the time, just when I get a notion. The ones in the past came in an Oakley container that came apart and held a microfiber cloth in half of the container and the other half held the actual product. You removed the lid and there is a chisel tip like a felt marker. With some downward pressure the liquid starts to flow and you spread it over all areas of the lenses, let dry, and then finish by polishing the lenses up with the cloth.

Well, I scored a good deal for another kit, yes it is the real deal, but when it arrived today it was clear this wasn't the same kit at all, even though the title was the same, that's were the likeness stops. Now it comes in a nylon ballistic pouch, I think that's how they describe it. It's just like the one that comes in their cleaning kit but a bit smaller. Inside you have the cloth but now there are 2 products used to complete the treatment. Inside there are 3 packs like you get at red lobster to wipe your greasy digits on. This is what Oakley calls component A. You take the moist towel out of the packet and you rub it on both sides of the lenses covering all surface area. Then you let it dry. Component B is contained in an aluminum pump sprayer like the one in the cleaning kit but smaller. The instructions say to spray this on both sides of the lenses on top of component A, also called the primer. Then use the cloth to wipe away any access and to polish the surface of the lenses.

I haven't used this new kit yet. I wanted to run it by some of y'all first and see what the masses say about this first. If needed I can post pics in the mornin. As always thanks for the info, this might be useful as a sticky thread, unless I'm the only one to question this? If so, Nevermind the sticky thang.
Later
NCH

Hmm haven't seen this. I am just familiar with the marker type hydrophobic kit (the one you mention at the beginning of the post above)

Here are some pics I found. I am now thinking that the kit in the single container with a felt like tip might just be a cleaning kit and not the actual hydrophobic kit? But I know I bought that type directly from Oakley for like $20 and the description said it was used to treat a lens with the actual coating. I am surprised nobody else has mentioned it on the forum. Interesting maybe I will shoot Oakley an email tonight when I get back to the compound. Thanks
NCH

HYDRO 1.jpg

HYDROPHOBIC 2.jpg

Here are some pics I found. I am now thinking that the kit in the single container with a felt like tip might just be a cleaning kit and not the actual hydrophobic kit? But I know I bought that type directly from Oakley for like $20 and the description said it was used to treat a lens with the actual coating. I am surprised nobody else has mentioned it on the forum. Interesting maybe I will shoot Oakley an email tonight when I get back to the compound. Thanks
NCH

View attachment 426520

View attachment 426521

The felt tip one is the hydrophobic one I got. I have several and they are all like that. Quite different from the cleaning kit (even the smell is quite strong and different from the cleaning one)

I just had a minute and went to the Oakley site and it is still selling the kit all contained to the single container and clearly states that it is a lens cleaner and also applies the Hydrophobic coating to all lenses. I had to laugh when it came to the part where it claims it is enough for 50 applications. Last one I got directly from Oakley, it was clearly new but there was only enough solution to cover 6 lenses on both sides. I emailed Oakley 3 or 4 times, and couldn't get a single reply. They certainly aren't the company they use to be. What's strange is I am unable to find the other kit on their website at all. The confusion continues, lol!!!
NCH
Oakley NanoClear Hydrophobic Lens Cleaner Kit | Oakley US Store

I just miss the little multi tool that used to come with the cleaning kits. If i lose my only one, i am f$&ked.

Here is a link that will take you to the search results for OAKLEY HYDROPHOBIC KIT and it clearly shows 3 products. Two are the different kits I posted and the 3rd is the regular cleaning kit. Go figure?????
Oakley hydrophobic kit - Google Search

Back