• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Changes to the Hydrophobic Treatment Kit

I got a few of that thing they call a multi tool, but I sure won't use it when I have real grown up sized tools that fit my huge hands better then this so called tool designed for midgets. YMMV???
NCH

I didn't notice they changed to a plastic sprayer. I too prefer the metallic one, I believe it's aluminum or possibly some aluminum alloy. Many folks don't know this but when you purchase this kit, or the one from Sunglass Hut it comes with free refills for life at either the Oakley or Sunglass Hut stores. I no longer use their cleaning solution since I had one of my sprayers refilled at a sunglass hut and saw the lady refilling it out of a large container. I asked her if I could see the container and it contained alcohol and ammonia both in the solution, said so clear as day right on the label but didn't give the percentages. I can tell you from the smell there was a very high amount of ammonia in that bottle and I am positive it contained more than 5% alcohol that the Oakley fluid has and the care instructions say not to use anything over the 5% level. I've never bothered with getting free refills again, plus I'm an hour away from the nearest store. I tried lots of different products before settling on the best cleaner I have ever used called Brilliant Lenses Cleaner.

If anyone has one of these metallic sprayers that they aren't using I could sure use a couple extras for different vehicles I drive on a regular basis. I'm willing to pay for shipping a kick a few extra for a cold one on me, lol!!!
NCH

Last edited:
I just had a minute and went to the Oakley site and it is still selling the kit all contained to the single container and clearly states that it is a lens cleaner and also applies the Hydrophobic coating to all lenses. I had to laugh when it came to the part where it claims it is enough for 50 applications. Last one I got directly from Oakley, it was clearly new but there was only enough solution to cover 6 lenses on both sides. I emailed Oakley 3 or 4 times, and couldn't get a single reply. They certainly aren't the company they use to be. What's strange is I am unable to find the other kit on their website at all. The confusion continues, lol!!!
NCH
Oakley NanoClear Hydrophobic Lens Cleaner Kit | Oakley US Store

How heavily are you applying it? My nanoclear kits have lasted a LONG time. At least a few dozen lenses inside and out.
6 lenses seems incredibly short of a duration based on my own experience.

I got a few of that thing they call a multi tool, but I sure won't use it when I have real grown up sized tools that fit my huge hands better then this so called tool designed for midgets. YMMV???
NCH

I didn't notice they changed to a plastic sprayer. I too prefer the metallic one, I believe it's aluminum or possibly some aluminum alloy. Many folks don't know this but when you purchase this kit, or the one from Sunglass Hut it comes with free refills for life at either the Oakley or Sunglass Hut stores. I no longer use their cleaning solution since I had one of my sprayers refilled at a sunglass hut and saw the lady refilling it out of a large container. I asked her if I could see the container and it contained alcohol and ammonia both in the solution, said so clear as day right on the label but didn't give the percentages. I can tell you from the smell there was a very high amount of ammonia in that bottle and I am positive it contained more than 5% alcohol that the Oakley fluid has and the care instructions say not to use anything over the 5% level. I've never bothered with getting free refills again, plus I'm an hour away from the nearest store. I tried lots of different products before settling on the best cleaner I have ever used called Brilliant Lenses Cleaner.

If anyone has one of these metallic sprayers that they aren't using I could sure use a couple extras for different vehicles I drive on a regular basis. I'm willing to pay for shipping a kick a few extra for a cold one on me, lol!!!
NCH

For substitute lens cleaner it is hard to beat the Zeiss one. Comes in packs of two big bottles for less than $10. Found at Sams Club. There is a thread in here with more details.

NCH

NCH

I think the Oakley stores refill it with the same solution that is in the bottles in the first place, no? I've never bothered to refill at at Sunglass Hut even though there's one right next to me.

They have always said the SG Hut solution is the same as Oakley, but it has always smelled stronger to me.

My issue was not with my application, I can assure you. You would really have to work to use to much of this stuff, the lenses are far from being sponges. I should have been clearer, when I first removed it from the package I knew there was an issue with how much liquid was in the closed container. There was no sign of leakage inside the box and the felt tip was unused. The only explanation I could come up with was a problem at the factory. One would think with automation today the units would be weighed and outside a set range they would be rejected, this obviously isn't the case. That didn't bother me nearly as much as not getting a reply to any of my emails regarding the issue. Like others have discovered, it just isn't the same Oakley that it was years ago.

I tried most all the most popular cleaners that I could find with no alcohol and no ammonia, including the Zeiss. It seems Zeiss makes 2 different lens cleaners one that tells you what it is made of and one that doesn't. I remember reading this at multiple sites when I obtained a bottle that didn't clean nearly as good as the previous one. I believe when I was researching this is when I learned about the product called Brilliant Lenses Cleaner. I decided to give it a shot and haven't gone back to anything but it for some time now. No streaks, smudges, just crystal clean glasses each and every time I use it. If you are interested, I also discovered a great microfiber cloth called Magic fiber. They claim to be the best cloth in the world for cleaning lenses and if you don't agree they will give you a full refund. But that sounds like advertising words, right? Check them out on Amazon and read some of the 10,000 +reviews that say the same thing. That convinced me to order some and try them myself. I reckon many would think I am crazy to go to this extent for glass cleaner. Those same folks would think I'm insane to have a Oakley case in my den too, maybe they are right? I'm to dam old to change now, and my best friend, my Basset Hound, doesn't seem to mind so screw them if they don't like it, lol!!!
Later
NCH

They have always said the SG Hut solution is the same as Oakley, but it has always smelled stronger to me.

I'm not going to say that some Sunglass Hut stores don't have the same solution as Oakley because maybe some do. I'm over 2 hours away from an Oakley store and an hour away from the nearest Sunglass Hut. Both of these stores are in cities, I hate the city, I'm at home in the country 15 miles from a stoplight is just fine with me. The internet makes it possible for me to totally avoid cities except for going to my doc. I can have whatever I need brought right to my door and don't have to burn 15 gals of diesel fuel. These two products, the cleaner and the cloth are the very best that I have found and unless something changes, no need to try another. I piece of advice, if you buy the cleaner don't waste your money on their tiny toothpick spray devices. Get you the larger bottle and refill your own sprayers. It's still a small bottle, if I could buy it in a gallon jug I would. YMMV?

NCH

Back