• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

COPPER R1

What if they took a serialized R1 off the line and used this pair as the first example for copper plating.
just throwing it out there.
Totally possible but I would have to defer and get more info from the other proto holders out there. the only provenanced proto xmetal I have is a juliet and it has not marks. there are others out there with marks but they are not serials, more like marking to see how the etching looks or how to track the parts with subtle differences.

I cant tell yet until I get em in my paws.You can drop them in the laser for engraving before or after plating. I have a 20x eye loupe,Ill see it in detail.

They’re copper and searilzed so it looks like the copper was there before the serial went on and there’s only one way for that to happen. Seems legit to me. Where he got them from maybe not but no way an after market plating job could save the serial like that but I’m no expert. I would ask @zwc0442 or @Bonz-1 they are experts.
I would love to be proven wrong on the serial # because I have a copper-plated pair that I picked up from an employee. he said it was part of some tests which is why it was discolored, I didn't really think to ask for provenance or documentation at the time as he was very nonchalant about it. but I didn't get much more info if it was a "hey dunk this in a tank and see what happens" or more of an official capacity.

Idk that pair doesn't exactly look like the penny copper color. Almost like a plasma finish with weird camera settings. When I've copper plated an r1 the serial remains sometimes but it's because r1 the serials were engraved it doesn't look like an original serial when I copper plate but is still readable sometimes. But only an r1 it remains, the serials were done differently than other x metals.

You should have wrote "Jim, Some NY City big wig, And me, who looks like I'm wearing a Wig" 🤣
Ok
Put the bottle away. Butt the spleef.
1688785603529.gif

Idk that pair doesn't exactly look like the penny copper color. Almost like a plasma finish with weird camera settings. When I've copper plated an r1 the serial remains sometimes but it's because r1 the serials were engraved it doesn't look like an original serial when I copper plate but is still readable sometimes. But only an r1 it remains, the serials were done differently than other x metals.
I think your right on the camera filter settings,because the screws look copper too.

Latest Posts

Back