• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Disappointed with Deep Water Prizm

Chrismo

Oakley Beginner
As a Northern European I may be more sensitive to sunlight than most.

I (44m) used to wear Oakley’s in my late teens/early 20s, loved them for snowboarding or just on a day out.

Fast forwarding two decades to last summer when I saw these Oakley Turbine Rotor while shopping with the family and absolutely loved them!
My wife surprised me with a new pair for my birthday at the end of the summer. As an avid sailor spending loads of time on the water, she went for the transparent frames and Prizm Deep Water Blue lenses. She had to have them custom built because the combination of transparent frames and deep water lenses isn’t offered by default. Absolutely stunning!

I noticed that these lenses were a lot less dark than the ones I normally have, but the summer came to an end and I didn’t think much about it, until…

We went to the Canary Islands for Christmas to go sailing. I’m starting to really hate these glasses and regret I didn’t bring my $30 Decathlon “category 4 polarized” glasses I normally wear.

To give you an idea how bad these are, let me start by saying that when wearing a hat and the lenses are in the shade, it’s doable (but just barely). However, when things get exiting on the water and wearing a hat is no longer feasible, these glasses become utterly useless:

•The transparent frames reflect sunlight, so at certain angles you consistently have to deal with the sunlight glare in your eyes

•The lenses are polarized, but barely so. If the sun reflect on the water, it’s squinting galore! It’s literally impossible to look at buoys if these are in the glare

•If the sun is anywhere in sight, you are squinting

•When I’m on the front deck and looking at the crew in the cockpit, while the sun is behind them, I can’t tell who is who, their faces are just shadows and it’s impossible to see any details.

I don’t know what to do. Again, I absolutely love the frames and the fact my wife went to so much trouble customizing these for me that I really want to make this work.
Does Oakley offer (MUCH) darker lenses with stronger/better polarization that would suit me better?

How can it be that these $30 cat.4 glasses from Decathlon are doing such a better job than a brand like Oakley? I’m afraid to think how these glasses are going to fare during in the blazing sun of the Caribbean.

Any help or insights is greatly appreciated!

I thought I made it pretty clear what I want but perhaps I'm wrong. Let me reiterate where I would appreciate some help with: Which lenses are.suitable for use on the water and (very) dark? Is it possible I may have fake lenses? Do other have the same experience as me? Any experience with prizm deep blue and being on the water on a sunny day?

Again, I'm looking for help, not here to bash Oakley. If it came across as such, my apologies. That said, I stand with my remark that it's surprising that these cheap sunglasses have so much better polarization, it's just an observation though

I work in sales and I see too many people try to like something when deep down they don’t. Because the deep water is letting in as much light as you say and you have a $30 pair that works, then that would be the one to go with because there aren’t going to be any lenses from Oak that are significantly darker. As for them being fake, if you bought them from an authorized retailer then that would be virtually impossible.

That's a fair point and you may be right. I do like the Oakley frames a lot better but the lenses are not going to work for me, I'm afraid. I didn't know Oakley doesn't offer darker lenses and that's really just too bad.

I would love to hear from other boaters or water sports enthousiasts with deep water lenses; I surely can't be the only one that notices this?

That's a fair point and you may be right. I do like the Oakley frames a lot better but the lenses are not going to work for me, I'm afraid. I didn't know Oakley doesn't offer darker lenses and that's really just too bad.

I would love to hear from other boaters or water sports enthousiasts with deep water lenses; I surely can't be the only one that notices this?
I have used this lens on the water up at Lake Geneva with no problems and my eyes are so sensitive that I wear shades during rainy days.

You'd be amazed at how much of your problem is the transparent frame. It puts a lot of light into that lens and into your eye. Been there, done that, still have a few that I wear when I can stand it.

I have deep water prizm and very sensitive eyes, great on sunny water. (I spend half the year on water).

Now, prizm black does really well for me, all of the dark Oakley lenses do.

Prizm snow black is the darkest(lowest light transmission) lenses Oakley makes. Here is a comparison with DWP. I actually love DWP though:

491F87D8-171F-4219-AB50-FC51C9851FC0.jpeg
43315D2D-200E-4D60-8E92-EEEB75D66B2D.jpeg

Back