• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Disappointed with Deep Water Prizm

You'd be amazed at how much of your problem is the transparent frame. It puts a lot of light into that lens and into your eye. Been there, done that, still have a few that I wear when I can stand it.

I have deep water prizm and very sensitive eyes, great on sunny water. (I spend half the year on water).

Now, prizm black does really well for me, all of the dark Oakley lenses do.
I second the clear frame be at least a contributing factor, along with fit since you mentioned improvement with the hat. Between light leak and reflection from the bleed though it be worth trying a different one. Just take some blue painters tape and cover the frame and give it a try before giving up or spending money on a new frame/style.

The other possible, but very small chance is the lens is a sapphire and not deep water, especially that she had them custom built for you. The wrong lens could have got put back in the box, swapped out by employee or customer being slick. We have also had forum members mention getting the wrong lens directly from Oakley on more than one occasion. IF the the tape thing doesn't work, take your pair to the store and compare with another deep water prizm.

Check out some older models with the OO Black iridium Polarized. I remember those lenses being VERY dark, rose-ish tint. They are stilll my all time favorite lenses from Oakley. Especially when paired with the Jury frame.

Hi, as a Northern European, aka the island that‘s off the continental part I also have sensitive eyes and live on the East Coast US that gets some serious sun I can tell you I love DWP in the Matte Black Holbrook I have. I have them in another frame too, no issues in bright midday sun.
I have several crystal clear frames, violet, emerald and chrome. The refraction of the sun through those on a very bright day is noticeable. Like others have said it is probably the frame you are reacting to over the lenses. And they are definitely polarized because they eliminate my HUD in my car.
good luck sorting it out,

As the guys have stated above. Clear frames generally suck for any bright light and, IMO, are only an aesthetic choice. They will only harm your experience unless you go into it knowing you'll significantly impact your coverage.

As @Kingme stated, Snow Black is the only Category 4 lens Oakley makes. Honestly, if your light sensitivity is that high, I'd go with a Clifden with Prizm Snow Black.

The only other option you may have it to find an old school Black Iridium Polarized Lens for the Turbine Rotor. Those were normally listed as 9% LTL and were the darkest lens they made, tied with Dark Grey. Regardless of how dark the lens is, I still think the clear frame will be detrimental to the usability.

You can also paint the frame if you’re that set on keeping it, as it was a gift. Or get another one with some other lens and swap the lenses. Put a prizm road in the clear frame for mixed and overcast days, put the deep water prizm in a dark solid frame for bright days.

What frame is it?

You can also paint the frame if you’re that set on keeping it, as it was a gift. Or get another one with some other lens and swap the lenses. Put a prizm road in the clear frame for mixed and overcast days, put the deep water prizm in a dark solid frame for bright days.

What frame is it?
He mentions Turbine Rotor as a frame he loves and his wife surprised him, doesn’t state that it is that frame but I am assuming it is.

I have an entire collection of the clear framed turbines and turbine rotors. I have experienced glare with the clear and semi clear frames in many different Oakley models. They’re usually worn driving or lounging around the pool. I’ve never worn them on the water. I use the prizm DWP for fishing off a boat, prizm SWP for bank fishing and prizm maritime when we fish the rivers. All that said I have zero experience sailing. I hope that helps.

I have an entire collection of the clear framed turbines and turbine rotors. I have experienced glare with the clear and semi clear frames in many different Oakley models. They’re usually worn driving or lounging around the pool. I’ve never worn them on the water. I use the prizm DWP for fishing off a boat, prizm SWP for bank fishing and prizm maritime when we fish the rivers. All that said I have zero experience sailing. I hope that helps.
What if you’re sitting in a boat on the bank of a river?

Back