• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Does "DE" Lower The Value Of Glasses?

Batwolf

Double Team
Premium Member
Portland, OR
Let's say you bought an older, collectible pair of glasses but the label on the original packaging is a DE label instead of the original barcode. Everything else is original, only thing differing is a DE label.

Would that de-value the glasses at all compared to an original?

I had a pair like that and they were in perfect condition. To some people it matters and others it does not. I guess the main issue with them is people will know it was originally purchased for cheap.

I got offered a pair with a DE label recently. I presumed it means defective?

Cheers,

Nope, it doesn't mean defective. Basically, the Vault stores get glasses, remove them from the original boxes, and either rebox them in generic ones, or sell without a box. The cleaning bags are sometimes swapped for generic ones (but not always). The glasses themselves are fine; you just get shorted the extras.

So, resale value would be affected if you're selling to a collector, or if it's a limited piece or something like that. If it's something common, I wouldn't think it would matter too much.

Since it stands for displayed eyewear I think that it might affect the value to some. I personally don't mind it and have found DE items in perfect condition but the fact they are never truly BNIB may bother some.

Nope, it doesn't mean defective. Basically, the Vault stores get glasses, remove them from the original boxes, and either rebox them in generic ones, or sell without a box. The cleaning bags are sometimes swapped for generic ones (but not always). The glasses themselves are fine; you just get shorted the extras.

So, resale value would be affected if you're selling to a collector, or if it's a limited piece or something like that. If it's something common, I wouldn't think it would matter too much.

Thanks for that mate, learn something new every day!

Cheers,

This isn't necessarily true either. If we get special editions in the special edition boxes we try to keep the box and micro with them, but usually they come in with a generic bag and box...we don't swap them out. And the way I look at DE eyewear is that its stuff we either refurbished or bought back from other stores. Sometimes stuff we get in is damaged but usually it is in perfect condition. Instead of figuring out which is which we sell them all for a cheap price. And the main difference in price is because DE comes with no warranty and you can't return or exchange.

I have some pieces labelled DE, but the boxes will be excellent to mint condition and correct for the glasses which themselves will be as fault free as can be expected, the complete contents and unused microbag will be included as well, so I can't see a problem, nor will it cause me to offer a seller less if an item is available I desire. You can have a perfect, complete, mint original item with a DE label, to me better than the same pair in lesser condition without the DE.

Yes and no. Sometimes stores keep all of their packaging for their DE items. Some examples are the Thump back when stores used to have them, and even random artist/signature series. Usually it is store policy to throw away ALL DE packaging but there are rare instances and some stores that don't practice this.

The pair I'm talking about in particular is an artist series that has all the original pieces and packaging but just has a DE label on the box.

Back