• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

eBay lenses

Vman41

Oakley Beginner
Hi!
I'm new to this forum and recently just found out about it. A few months ago I lost my pair of Juliets and I've been trying to find a decent pair of used ones or maybe piece together/fix up one.
Anyways, I've been looking on eBay and there are lots of listings claiming to be legit Oakley lenses but no box or anything. My question is what should I be on the lookout for if I want to spot a fake? I'm sure it's easier to tell once you actually get it and can inspect it, but are there any giveaways just from a photo?
Thanks!

Tough with just lenses and no boxes. If you fired a pic or the link on here there are people who could probably help.

There are legit lenses that don't have boxes, either they were stripped from frames (which the seller would then replace with aftermarkets and sell them as "custom", sell the OEM lenses separately), or, more commonly, old warranty replacement stock that somebody bought up. But there's also misidentified aftermarkets...

So there's no general-purpose clear giveaways just from photos. You need to look at lens thickness, iridium (if any), base tint, and etching (if any). And that will only do you any good if you're well-versed in what the various lenses are supposed to look like.

If you're unsure, you can always post pics from the auction, or the direct auction link, in the "real or fakes" sticky thread under sunglasses discussion.

:welcome: for starters.

Since this is a discussion thread, post a link to what you are looking at on ebay and someone will advise you either way. There are lots of sellers on ebay that have made large bulk purchases of lenses and they are totally legit but do only come with the foam sleeve.

Wow, thanks for the quick responses everyone!

NEW Oakley X Metal Juliet Black Polarized Lenses ~ Lenses Only ~ 100% Authentic

Here's a link to one I've looked at. I actually messaged the seller asking how he knows they are legit even though there are no boxes. He said he bought them in bulk but I don't totally buy that.

They do have the polarized etching but it kinda looks crooked. I don't have my Juliets anymore so I can't compare. What do u guys think?

Wow, thanks for the quick responses everyone!

NEW Oakley X Metal Juliet Black Polarized Lenses ~ Lenses Only ~ 100% Authentic

Here's a link to one I've looked at. I actually messaged the seller asking how he knows they are legit even though there are no boxes. He said he bought them in bulk but I don't totally buy that.

They do have the polarized etching but it kinda looks crooked. I don't have my Juliets anymore so I can't compare. What do u guys think?

Those are fine.

Awesome! Thanks for the expertise!

If you don't mind me asking, for future reference, is there anything about them that gives it away? Or is it one of those things, that all aspects of it seems to point toward genuine?

A good piece of advice when buying things Oakley or anything else for that matter which may be specific, is to check the sellers feedback and see if they regularly sell without complaints or problems etc. A fair few ebayer a in the US and Europe deal with Oakley items constantly so this is by far the safest way. They may not be cheap, but you know what you are getting is the real deal.

Awesome! Thanks for the expertise!

If you don't mind me asking, for future reference, is there anything about them that gives it away? Or is it one of those things, that all aspects of it seems to point toward genuine?

Well I have like half a dozen sets of those and the listed ones match. Plus, as discostu mentioned, I checked the sellers feedback and he sells a lot of Oakley items without any negative feedback, for authenticity or otherwise.

Back