• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

First Oakley/Ray-Ban Store opens in NYC

I don't like change. Most people don't. It stands to reason many people are comfortable knowing what they have and aren't looking for any improvements. I drink the same iced tea for years, buy the same oil for my car and order the same sandwich at a favorite place. When someone offers me something new I usually say why?

I own a lot of Oakley eyewear and collectibles that I've amassed over time. The brand stood for one thing in my mind. It wasn't board shorts and hoodies! I'm not unhappy about the direction the company has taken. I'm happy I was part of the brand early on when thermo nuclear protection was a slogan and Scotty Cannon tore up the strip. I had the opportunity to live during a time when pieces like the Medusa were able to be purchased without clicking a button and using PayPal.

My pieces are valuable to me for the most part and others. Some of you who came later in the game didn't get the chance to buy a brand new Zero off the shelves. Now you have to scan the forum and other avenues to locate a mint pair, a box or some other item to complete your collection. The hunt for it is never over. We all have a void we look to fill.

I look at this the same way I do other memories growing up. How many people lived in the 40's when big band music was king? Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Glenn Miller and his Orchestra? Did you live in the era of the tail fin when American cars were the dominant vehicle to own? Do horsepower wars really carry the same awe today? Whether you grew up during the 60's and 70's or found yourself head banging in the 80's with your fist in the air you experienced a special time. None of it is likely to return.

Oakley didn't define an era the way that these other things did but they were an integral part of it for me. The older designs tie me to a time when life was different. Better in some ways. It's a way to connect with the past whether you lived it or just wish you did.

I can say I did. That's enough for me.

Hey won't have any apparel there anymore. :p
Well, you will put your design/imprint on it.......kinda like the custom program.

Of course we don´t know how big your butt is, do you need the big bag that the original M Frame came in, or can you settle for wiping with a Flak 2.0 bag.

Back