• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Flak Jacket Icons - Removable?

big bopper

Oakley Expert
Yorkshire, UK
I've been looking at mine which appear to be molded to the frame. Is this the case or has anyone ever taken them off and changed them?

Cheers,

I took mine off via the usual process. Hot water and something thin to get underneath it.

Not sure if it's different for different models of flaks but I doubt it.

I never really looked, but I would think they'd have to be removable.

If you think about it, Oakley offers a pretty wide choice of icon colors for custom order Flaks. So if the icons were actually molded into the stems, can you imagine how many ear stems they'd have to manufacture to cover all the possible permutations of stem and icon colors together? It's a pretty large number.

Now that you got me curious, I'm gonna look closer at my Flaks when I get home from work this evening.

Interesting. I have two flak jacket frames, one matte black with gunmetal icon and the other is polished black with red icon. I want to switch them around :D

Boil some water and drop the earstems in there for 30 sec - 1 min. Pull them out and use either your fingernail or a flathead micro-screwdriver to get underneath and pry them up. Make sure you get the whole thing, including the double-stick tape.

When reinstalling, you can repeat the process to make the tape stick well, or just run a hair dryer over the icon to soften up the glue.

Boil some water and drop the earstems in there for 30 sec - 1 min. Pull them out and use either your fingernail or a flathead micro-screwdriver to get underneath and pry them up. Make sure you get the whole thing, including the double-stick tape.

When reinstalling, you can repeat the process to make the tape stick well, or just run a hair dryer over the icon to soften up the glue.

Just done this, worked like a charm. New Union Jack icons for my Flaks!

Cheers,

Back