• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Glasses other than oakley?

Anyone else try Maui Jim sunglasses before?

These are the "Eh Brah" by them. Cool frame, great Rose Bi Gradient lenses.

View attachment 403667

Yep, a pair of MJ Ho'okipa are my oldest pair of sunglasses (16 years) and my only pair of non Oakley. Love them, and she loves her Lighthouse, too.

0a8f72935dae7b3d41e1c51cb3b2403f.jpg

4b6515121dacef93eff4813919993a1e.jpg

No idea why the pic posted twice...

Last edited:
I've got several non Oakley that I do enjoy

Randolph Engineering aviator sunglasses
American optical original pilot sunglasses

Those two are military issue so the build quality and optics are top notch.Both are handmade in America.

Persol 714 folding sunglasses an absolute classic one of the most beautiful pairs ever made.There's quite an art with Persol in their styling.I'm a huge fan of Persol sunglasses I've got 3 pair.There's a bit more sophistication and class with Persol sunglasses that you don't get with Oakley.As they are a bit more sporty and athletic.

and finally of course Ray-Ban I own several of the classic RB3025 which I like alot.

I think in closing I don't believe any of these are necessarily better than the other.All have their strong points and weak points.Which would take forever to go through.I just enjoy more than just Oakley brand sunglasses.

I sold a pair of Ray ban Woodys, brand new in the box for $1100 US. I invested the money in a small Canadian Marijuana stock, and in three months my $1100 became $6000. So I guess I sold my Ray Bans for $6000. I wish I could swing deals and trades like that every time. The thing is, I bought them 20 years ago as an investment for $260, so there is money to be made on Ray Bans even if You don't care to wear them. I have worn Oakleys since 1993, and I will never change. I have a pair of COSTA DEL MAR shades that I wear on blizzard days, but other than that, it'sOakley all the way.
That marijuana stock is Newstrike Resources Ltd, and on the Toronto Stock Exchange the symbol is HIP-V, and on the New York Exchange the symbol is NWKRF. If any of You do any trading, this is one to look at, and the price is pretty low right now after a pullback.nI put $5000 in the bank and put the rest back into Newstrike. Many days this stock will climb 20%, and I had 50% days. A stock this volatile has risk, but it also has reward.
Of course no stock is a sure thing, but marijuana is going to be legal nationwide in Canada on July 1st, 2018, and this company got their supplier license a few weeks back, and they own a Medical Cannibis company called UpCannibis. Right now Up Cannibis has had their license increased to unlimited, so with four months until legalization, they can grow as much as physically possible, so they will be a player on and after July 1st. I know that this is a stretch for a sunglasses post, but they are interrelated, so I thought I would share some moneymaking news. Right now You can buy a share for $1.20 Canadian, so it doesn't take a huge outlay if You want to dabble in this stock.

Last edited:
On vacation, slight discount (this brand always has one), but I finally got to try them.

Rudy Project Fotonyk with photochromic Impact X 2 lenses.

I've kinda crapped on this brand before for being fragile, but this might be the Jawbone replacement I was looking for. Lighter, extended vision option, and no more earsocks while keeping a sport hold. "bumpers" can be removed for a Flak-like setup.

20180224_133828.jpg

I sold a pair of Ray ban Woodys, brand new in the box for $1100 US. I invested the money in a small Canadian Marijuana stock, and in three months my $1100 became $6000. So I guess I sold my Ray Bans for $6000. I wish I could swing deals and trades like that every time. The thing is, I bought them 20 years ago as an investment for $260, so there is money to be made on Ray Bans even if You don't care to wear them. I have worn Oakleys since 1993, and I will never change. I have a pair of COSTA DEL MAR shades that I wear on blizzard days, but other than that, it'sOakley all the way.
That marijuana stock is Newstrike Resources Ltd, and on the Toronto Stock Exchange the symbol is HIP-V, and on the New York Exchange the symbol is NWKRF. If any of You do any trading, this is one to look at, and the price is pretty low right now after a pullback.nI put $5000 in the bank and put the rest back into Newstrike. Many days this stock will climb 20%, and I had 50% days. A stock this volatile has risk, but it also has reward.
Of course no stock is a sure thing, but marijuana is going to be legal nationwide in Canada on July 1st, 2018, and this company got their supplier license a few weeks back, and they own a Medical Cannibis company called UpCannibis. Right now Up Cannibis has had their license increased to unlimited, so with four months until legalization, they can grow as much as physically possible, so they will be a player on and after July 1st. I know that this is a stretch for a sunglasses post, but they are interrelated, so I thought I would share some moneymaking news. Right now You can buy a share for $1.20 Canadian, so it doesn't take a huge outlay if You want to dabble in this stock.

Pot is always a good thing to invest in. Thanks for stopping by @Wally Taylor

After being Oakley exclusive for the past decade, I've finally decided to branch out, because 1) there aren't many new Oakley models coming out that I like and 2) I don't like Luxxotica. After watching the Olympics, I noticed a lot of Rudy Project frames in the cross country skiing events, and was curious enough to buy a pair. I ordered some (aka all) of the Oakley Harmony Fade collection, and also Rudy Project Fotonyk and Noyz.

First impression: damn, that new Oakley construction paper packaging is garbage. I expected something special for the Harmony Fade collection, especially considering the $30 premium. In contrast, the Rudy's came in a nice thick box with color printing. It may be a small thing, but it made me excited to get to the contents.

O-Matter in the past few years has started feeling really cheap. I know part of that is weight reduction in the frame...but they don't feel anything like classic Oakley frames. The Rudy frame feels solid and heavy, however, they weigh around one ounce. They are also really flexible in comparison to the more rigid Oakley frames. I like the idea of Rudy's adjustable nosepads, but it's sort of annoying in practice, since you have to take the frames on off a ton of times to dial in the correct fit. Oakley nosepads may be one-size-fits-all, but they seem to work for most people. I think the Rudy airflow vent on the nosebridge and the cutout eastems are pretty ugly as well, but they do serve a purpose. As for styling, I think Oakley wins. I would take a Flak or Half Jacket over the Noyz any day, but I think the Fotonyk looks amazing. The Rudy designs are more Euro looking, and some of the offerings in their catalog are pretty horrid. But I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The Rudy microbag feels like the Oakley bags from the 90's - nice and thick. The Rudy plastic case looks cool, but feels a bit thin and has a plastic hinge; so I don't know how well it will hold up to repeated openings, so I would say that the Oakley zippered case is superior. Too bad not all Oakley frames come with one (every pair of Rudys does).

As for the lenses - I can't discern much difference between the brands, in terms of clarity. I think the Prizm lens tints are a bit nicer to look through, but not by much. In comparison to standard Iridium, Mutilaser Orange is similar to Fruby, but without the "looking through swamp water" effect that Fire Iridium has. Multilaser Blue craps all over Ice Iridium, from both the interior and exterior views. I also noticed that the Rudy lenses are a bit thicker than Oakley.

Just wanted to share some of my impressions from the world outside of Oakley.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back