• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

GRRR! Discovered defected thru bolt ...out of warranty

yikes. Those are the MPH ones right from the Vault right? I have the same pair. Guess I'm not messing with those.

Never quite sure why the hex interface wasn't designed more robustly and the bolts themselves are spec'd to be seemingly too soft — other than maybe they're decent against corrosion.

Yep, those are the ones. Funny thing is I ended up liking the original configuration more than what I was trying out (keeping the matte black frame but adding a polished black lower jaw and black thru bolts). I wouldn't say to abstain from switching them out if you want to experiment different colorways, just be careful. What I believe happened is that the right bolt was cross threaded when they were originally put together which is why it was a struggle to remove it and quickly became jammed when I tried putting it back together. Removing the thru bolts from the other pair and putting them back together was a breeze.

A more robust material would have been nice, perhaps they'd be a few micro-ounces heavier. Like @Lexkempo said they probably didn't have people changing them out in mind, but the switch lock system sure works well.

Latest Posts

Back