• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Head shapes

Nzfly

Oakley Beginner
On Oakley's site there is a selection filter based on head shape. Is there something comparable for only the X metals?

Such as:
Romeos look/fit best on:
Mars look/fit best on:
And so on...

No. Never has been, never will be.

Too many variables; too much variation from person to person - how wide is your head? How round is it? (TWSS)

How flat is your face? How prominent are your cheekbones? How high are they? How wide is your nose, near the top and in the middle? How far does it stick out? (again TWSS, for the last one)

How are your eyes spaced? Prominent forehead? What's your coverage preference? How much weight is personally comfortable? (yet another TWSS?)

Really, the only way to test fit is to try a pair. And if they ever come out with software that can accurately gauge that, they won't support models that were discontinued 4+ years ago...

Can't find someone who has x-metals to try on? You have to buy to try. But that's not so risky. Buy for a fair price, don't suit you, can you can sell for a fair price. It's the people who overpay who lose money like that.

And really, it can surprise you - when I still had the personal milestone to get at least one of each x-metal, I was thinking if they didn't suit me, that'd be the only one; if they did, I might get more. As I gathered them, I was often surprised with fit vs. expectations...

In the past, I had bought a pair of Juliet's (plasma and blue iridium I think???) and they hurt my head regardless of which sized inserts - the 15/25 things (ear shocks?). I sold those probably 5 years ago thinking they would never be comfortable and therefore they were just sitting around.

Recently, I bought another pair resizing that you could bend the ear stems a small amount and potentially remedy the extremely tight fit. The ones that I got had a bit more play in the nose bridge and I'll be damned if they don't fit wonderfully.

I saw where XX Metals can work for larger heads or even the X Squared. My Whiskers are small lenses like Penny's and they look fine so it started me thinking, thus the question. I have a reasonably large head, I am 6'4" and proportionate. Can't say I have ever measured it though. I would have to take a picture or find a comparable to show the shape. It is for a lack of a better way of saying it, white guy angular.

Last edited:
In the past, I had bought a pair of Juliet's (plasma and blue iridium I think???) and they hurt my head regardless of which sized inserts - the 15/25 things (ear shocks?). I sold those probably 5 years ago thinking they would never be comfortable and therefore they were just sitting around.

Recently, I bought another pair resizing that you could bend the ear stems a small amount and potentially remedy the extremely tight fit. The ones that I got had a bit more play in the nose bridge and I'll be damned if they don't fit wonderfully.

I saw where XX Metals can work for larger heads or even the X Squared. My Whiskers are small lenses like Penny's and they look fine so it started me thinking, thus the question. I have a reasonably large head, I am 6'4" and proportionate. Can't say I have ever measured it though. I would have to take a picture or find a comparable to show the shape. It is for a lack of a better way of saying it, white guy angular.

Try the R1 and R2.

I had a serialized Juliet years ago and loved how they fit, recently I bought a pair of 5th generation non serial and they weren't as comfortable as I remembered. Could be that my face filled out more but by no means has it changed that much.

Ive had several pairs of XS some fitting better than others but now I have a set I really like and wear daily, I just wish they provided a little more coverage. I Think I'll pick up another R1 they were my first and by far my favorite.

Best of luck finding a pair that fit you.

I had a serialized Juliet years ago and loved how they fit, recently I bought a pair of 5th generation non serial and they weren't as comfortable as I remembered. Could be that my face filled out more but by no means has it changed that much.

Ive had several pairs of XS some fitting better than others but now I have a set I really like and wear daily, I just wish they provided a little more coverage. I Think I'll pick up another R1 they were my first and by far my favorite.

Best of luck finding a pair that fit you.

Thanks man, I recall my original pair didn't have serial numbers either. The ones I have now do. I wonder if you have identified a variance in them, as I feel the same. Clearly the sample size is low here, so it is hard to read into it.

I always assumed the Romeo 1's were small because Tom Cruise wore them in MI2 and he isn't exactly a big guy.

I always assumed the Romeo 1's were small because Tom Cruise wore them in MI2 and he isn't exactly a big guy.

He's just got a fat head. (TWSS)

R1s are big, relatively speaking. They even made thicker t-shox options for them to make up for that.

R2 is also a very comfortable pair, better suited for larger heads than many of the other x-metal options.

That's why I recommended those two after you shared your earlier experiences.

I'm 6'5" and fairly big so I'm going with XX, XS, R1s. I started with two Juliets that I really liked but that was before I wore the other three. Poor Juliets.

OK I may have to get an R2.

R1's definitely aren't smaller. Provide more coverage and with the right t shocks are amazing, at least to me.

But as you know everyone has their opinion.

More pics of me than anyone wants to see bit I hope it helps show how various frames fit.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back