• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Help With Picking Lens Fast Jackets

veener79

Oakley Beginner
Chicago area
I just ordered my Fast Jacket XL. They come with the G30 polarized and VR50. I like the G30. Not sure if they will work for everything I do. Oakley's site I do not like for their simulated shots.

This is what I need lens for.
Daily driving
Hiking ( a lot of going from light to shade)
Autocross and other racing (days at the track)
Hunting(this is the hard one)
Low light in morning. Dark and very sunny days. Also winter very bright when the sun is reflecting off the snow.
I am looking at forest that is bright in some places but low light others. Not sure if there us a lens that works for both.

Thanks for any help.

I jus went on a spree and have tried a bunch of lenses on my fast jackets. I have the silver frames and the Black Plaid ones.

I have:
VR50
G30 Polarized
Black polarized iridium
00 Red positive polarized iridium
Clear/black transition

Bright sun shine = black Iridium Polarized. These are my favorite for bright sunny days. Next best is the G30. A bit of contrast where shadow and depth perception is needed. Golfing, woods, etc.

Partly Cloudy - G30 and then the 00 Red's.

Cloudy - haven't had too many of these but if it a overcast and such, then VR50.

When I bike in the mornings or evenings and it is sunny and then sunset or vice versa, I go with the transitions.

My next question for myself is, what is my next lens/frame?

Dennis

If you try to plan for every condition you'll end up with a dozen sets of lenses. This is what I'd go with;

Daily driving: I use something with 15% or less. Polarized preferred for super sunny days when everything is giving off glare. Contrast or neutral

Hiking: G30, VR28, something in the 20-40% range. Bright enough you don't feel uncomfortable wearing them inside, but dark enough to take the edge off when the sun pokes out. I wear VR28 at work sometimes when I'm in and out of the shop a lot so I don't need to bring a spare pair or anything going from bright outdoors to the (seemingly) dim shop. Adjust for cover, meaning if you're in a less densely wooded area go darker. Definitely contrast lens.

Racing or at the track: I'd go the same as daily driving. No polarized, something a bit lighter toward 15% depending on cloud cover, track conditions, etc. Going with contrast can screw with you a tad or induce eye fatigue, I'd stay with a neutral base.

Hunting: Very much depends on the conditions. Photochromic might help with changing conditions if you don't want to carry spare lenses. Definitely polarized with snow.

vr28 black iridium. the non polarised is a great daily, the polarised is a touch dark. best contrast daily lens imo.

also try the black- persimmon transition for a contrast alternative to your clear-black. i love that one, dawn till dusk its perfect.

Thank all. I am liking the G30's a lot. I think they are going to work well for most of what I want. I think my priority lens to get right now is something for the snow.

Back