• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Hi From Wiltshire, UK (near Stonehenge :) )

Madgadget

Oakley Enthusiast
Hi All,

Ever since my first BMX back in the 80's I have loved Oakley stuff.

I got my first pair of E-Wire 1.0's in the 90's and loved them then went on to buy a set of Juliet titanium's with black iridium lenses a bit later and I still have both pairs today in perfect condition (although a few scratches on the e-wire lenses but still, pretty good) and I have used them both so much that it's a testament to their design and quality that they still look so good.

But ..... I always fancied a pair of Romeo's and never had the chance to get some, whenever I tried to get a pair, they either seemed to be rare as anything or I would miss out.

Well, I finally managed to get hold of a pair of Romeo titanium's with black iridium lenses the other day and then the missus took them off me and said I can have them at Christmas :( oh well, something to look forward too.

Oh, I also hand make carbon fibre accessories and decided after years of drooling over Oakley carbon fibre stuff that I would bring my passion to make a pair of Juliet's in carbon fibre and finally got round to it, I'll post them up soon if anyone is interested...

Cheers.

Hi neighbour I'm in dorset interested to see your carbon fibre juliets. And congrats on your Christmas present.
Welcome to the forum

Hi All,

OK, here's my homage to the Oakley Juliet's in carbon fibre. There are a number of ways (carve, mould lay etc) to do this and a number of types of carbon fibre (weave, unidirectional etc).

I cast mould from each one of the original juliet frame parts, then lay individual fibres (called tows) into the moulds, I wanted to use braided carbon fibre for the main frame parts and the arms rather than simple fibre tows which made it quite difficult to get the fibres to lay the way I wanted but after many prototypes these turned out as I wanted.

I've been using these now for over 6 months and they are stood up to be dropped, dropped in the sea and slide of the top of the car roof (Doh) and they are still working great and they weigh almost nothing.

DSC09985.jpg

DSC09993.jpg

The bridge was made using plain weave fibre sheet and unidirectional internally to make sure that it is strong enough for the lense frame arms to be locked in as they should be.

DSC09991.jpg

At each stress point, I have utilised both woven and unidirectional fibre to ensure that it's strong enough because they are so thin in places.

DSC09995.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

The case is hand formed using twill weave fibre sheet over a shape the same as the folded glasses, so the glasses themselves fit perfectly :)

DSC09981.jpg

Sorry if there are too many pics...

Hope you like them :)

DSC09985 copy.jpg

Welcome from Kent! Opposite end of the country!

Juliets are my passion and that Carbon Fibre pair are as sweet as a nut!

Latest Posts

Back