• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How Long Do The Lenses Last?

reginacarmelitas

Oakley Beginner
East Coast
Hey, guys! I was thinking of collecting more OEM lenses for my X-metals now that we all know that the X-metals are phased out completely. The question is, how long do these lenses last anyway (when kept in storage)? If I am going to buy extra lenses it would only make sense to do so if they will actually last for several years before deteriorating. Do we have any data on this? And if they do last for years and years, does anyone know if there is actual data about ideal storage conditions for the lenses (e.g. temperature range)?

Any opinion would be appreciated. Factual data would be most welcome.

Thanks!

I bought a few sets of old stock lenses from a vault once. Two different pairs had a weird residue on the lenses. After a quick cleaning with some lens clean and a microfiber cloth they were perfect. I would assume it was from the foam pouches they ship them. I have had lenses for years stored away with no issues at all....

Last edited:
I bought a few sets of old stock lenses from a vault once. Two different pairs had a weird residue on the lenses. After a quick cleaning with some lens clean and a microfiber cloth they were perfect. I would assume it was from the foam pouches they ship them. I have had lenses for years stored away with no issues at all....

I wonder how come on Ebay listings some sellers mention their old/used OEM lenses chipping / flaking? Could it be the iridium coating? If so, stay away from iridium coated lenses?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how come on Ebay listings some sellers mention their old/used OEM lenses chipping / flaking? Could it be the iridium coating? If so, stay away from iridium coated lenses?

The coating will flake and peel after failure to care for the lenses. The natural oils in your skin will cause the coatings to deteriorate over time if you don't clean them every so often. It's also a good idea to remove the lenses every so often and thoroughly clean them and the groove which the lenses fit in the frame. Bits of sand and such become imbedded in the orbital channel between the lens and the frame and after a while will scratch the lens. Now this is not a big deal cause most of it can't be seen until you remove the lens and you have a ring of debris and scratches all the way around the edge. Not only will the iridium coating be affected but also the UV and polarized films too....

The coating will flake and peel after failure to care for the lenses. The natural oils in your skin will cause the coatings to deteriorate over time if you don't clean them every so often. It's also a good idea to remove the lenses every so often and thoroughly clean them and the groove which the lenses fit in the frame. Bits of sand and such become imbedded in the orbital channel between the lens and the frame and after a while will scratch the lens. Now this is not a big deal cause most of it can't be seen until you remove the lens and you have a ring of debris and scratches all the way around the edge. Not only will the iridium coating be affected but also the UV and polarized films too....

You certainly sound like pro. Thanks!

Latest Posts

Back