• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How loose is too loose?

supersharp

Connoisseur of Grails
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Texas
When it comes to nose-bridges on the X-Metal family. How loose is too loose? At what point do you feel like they need to be tuned up. Just curious because before joining and acquiring many frames here, the only experience with X-Metals that I had was with the one's I purchased new. That being said, they were all factory tight. The only one that I purchased brand new was an OCP Juliet polished frame, that was about the same as some that I've received here. In picking up some metals here on the forum, I've found different degrees of looseness that are not really loose like falling apart or anything, but looser than I'm used to, so I'm posing the question at what point do they need to be tuned up? Is there a standard you use to determine this or is it soley on personal preference?

I find it to be something you'll know when you see and/or wear it. I've been quite lucky, only one pair had to go to Oakley before I could wear it at all.

Yeah there is a little plastic washer in there that wears out to. I need to replace them on a pair of my Juliets.

Ha. Did not know about that washer. Now I can account for all 25 parts, lol. Learn something every time I'm here.

Yeah the washers prevent metal-on-metal rubbing when you open/close the earstems, so it's better to replace them than just tighten the screws. Even though it's a pain in the ass...

Regarding the original topic, I think this has been asked before. Personally, though it's subjective for each person, my threshold is when they no longer will sit firmly on top of my head - it's very annoying when they keep falling back down. Even worse, if you tilt your head back and they fall off backwards... :eek:

recently got my original J's back from an Oakley tune up, they'd been loose on the left from wearers POV for years, put them on one morning and it just fell down, that was when I sent them in!

Back