1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Yeti

Yeti Frostmonkey Staff Member Premium Member

I have a bagged flak frame. It's paint is wearing off in numerous places etc.

Anyone have an easy way to strip all the remaining paint without damaging the frame?

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. marc2040

marc2040 Guest

You can try it with "Carson Paint Killer"

3. MaukaRunner

MaukaRunner Oakley Enthusiast

I just stripped my Flak the other day. The gloss black paint was already flaking though. Use brake fluid. It will take the paint off without damaging the plastic. Even the brake fluid didn't take everything off. I had to scrape some of it off with my fingernail. Now I have a matte finish Flak just waiting for paint.

Note: it worked on the Flak but I had a matte painted Gascan and I had a hard time removing the finish. Brake fluid didn't work. Alcohol sorta worked on some parts but on others it just made it crack and it didn't come off

4. MaukaRunner

Oh if you are going to use brake fluid, separate the arms from the orbitals and put the pieces into a sandwich sixed ziplock bag. Pour a little brake fluid into the bag and try to squeeze out the air and fold the unused portion so the liquid doesn't run away from the parts. Just put enough fluid to cover the orbitals and the arms.

5. Funky-Trixtar

Funky-Trixtar Me ,some time ago............. Premium Member

Try using Fairy Power Spray: same instructions as MaukaRunner, but it's more kind to your hands and doesn't affect the plastic, though I'd wear gloves during the application...

6. xmetalmaniac

xmetalmaniac Made of Metal Premium Member Lifetime Member

Brake fluid or brake cleaner?

7. MaukaRunner

Use brake fluid not cleaner. I've never tried brake cleaner though but I would think it might melt the plastic. Don't try any type of paint stripper though. I did on a small spot and it melted the plastic.

8. MaukaRunner

I've also read that Castrol Super Clean can strip paint but I've never tried it.