• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Looking for Five Squared alternative

badgersfan222

Oakley Beginner
Hi all,

I just wanted to reach out to this group of experts who I know own more pairs than me to see what they recommend. I own a very old pair of Five Squared (prior to rubber on nose pieces) that always seem to be my fallback pairs. I have a few SI pairs like straight jackets and half jackets and they are ok. I also had a pair of Canteens for a few weeks but they felt cheap to me for some reason. Wasnt a fan.

I like the five squared and straight jackets because of how they fit my face. I'm 36 and just not a fan of the straight faced glasses like the Gascan's and Crankshafts. I've been looking at the Valve's for a month now and like the way they fit. However, I just noticed the Carbon Shifts.

With all that said, anyone who owns Five Squared or Straight Jackets comment on how they compare to the Valve's or Carbon Shifts?

Thanks for the help and glad I finally joined. (trust me, already read all 35 pages on the Carbon shifts)

Brent

Hi and welcome!
I know where you're coming from. I am a big fan of the Fives Squared and have a narrower face. I didn't think the valves would work for me, but they do. The valve is definitely bigger. They sit on my cheekbones a little, but I can get past that. Maybe try the flak 2.0. Your best bet, as I'm sure you'll hear over and over, is to find an o-store and try stuff on.
Alternatively, you are around my age and if there was a frame from when you were younger that fit great and you can't find anymore (XX twenty), you can probably score them here as well.

Another Fives Squared fan here. I have a couple newer pairs. I was hoping to like the Crankshafts... The fit sucks for me. They hit my eyebrows, feel like the nosepiece is too wide..it feels funny. Oh well...I do kinda like Gascans.
Anyway, another vote for the Flak 2.0. I have both Regular and XL. I like the looks of Regular best, but the XLs coverage is nice.
I don't have any experience with the two models you mentioned as of yet. I want to try the New and old Valves. Maybe I can trade these Crankshafts..lol
Good luck on your search!
DB

Hi all,

I just wanted to reach out to this group of experts who I know own more pairs than me to see what they recommend. I own a very old pair of Five Squared (prior to rubber on nose pieces) that always seem to be my fallback pairs. I have a few SI pairs like straight jackets and half jackets and they are ok. I also had a pair of Canteens for a few weeks but they felt cheap to me for some reason. Wasnt a fan.

I like the five squared and straight jackets because of how they fit my face. I'm 36 and just not a fan of the straight faced glasses like the Gascan's and Crankshafts. I've been looking at the Valve's for a month now and like the way they fit. However, I just noticed the Carbon Shifts.

With all that said, anyone who owns Five Squared or Straight Jackets comment on how they compare to the Valve's or Carbon Shifts?

Thanks for the help and glad I finally joined. (trust me, already read all 35 pages on the Carbon shifts)

Brent
They just made five squareds with prizm lenses so the fives squared is still being made luckily!

Valves are definitely larger. Five Squared is great for daily use if it fits you well and with the rubber nose pieces it sits better on the face as well. So if you like the 5^2 I'd get a new pair (like the prizm recommended above) and keep the old ones as beaters ;)

Back