• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Marriage is hard ...

Thats because they were brainwashed from an early age to believe thats what they had to do to be happy.
NO not really bro its an experience........its like buying your first x metal at its retail price the first time none of us knew it will be that sought after back then; same thing in marriage or any etc. Like forest gump said 'its a box of chocolate you don't know what u gonna get' hahahahahahah. You will never know unless you try.

Thats because they were brainwashed from an early age to believe thats what they had to do to be happy.
Hmmm. Brainwashed I'm not sure about that. I knew from an early age I wanted children and fell in love with my wife when we first met 13 years ago. Marriage was for her and myself. However as we grew it became difficult to deal with the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Bills work ect. I never thought about marriage until I met her. Yes it's what most do as its the thing to do but we waited a couple years before deciding that. Anyway to each his own. If the single life is bliss for you that's great. Even though I'm not always happy with my wife We share a common interest in raising our son. Which had become the most important thing in out lives. I'd not give it up to be single for even a second.

Married life can suck but it does have its advantages. Ie my amazing 19 month old. :grin:

With all due respect that's sorta an ignorant comment. When I was younger I was quite happy being single and strongly suspected I'd remain a life-long bachelor. Then things changed and I became a family man. Looking back I didn't really realize how unhappy I really was back then, but it comes through in some of my writings of the time, and through reflection. That doesn't mean I'm particularly happy now; marriage is a challenge. But I am happier, and kids are really fulfilling. That was the biggest lesson and revelation, how fulfilling being a parent can be.

But at no point was there any brainwashing driving me towards marriage.

There are some lessons in life one can learn through others, but for many of them, to truly understand them, one has to experience them. Over the years I've learned not to debate subjects that I only have book-learning about with those who have actual experience with them, because the truth is in those situations I really don't know what the **** I'm talking about in comparison.

With all due respect that's sorta an ignorant comment. When I was younger I was quite happy being single and strongly suspected I'd remain a life-long bachelor. Then things changed and I became a family man. Looking back I didn't really realize how unhappy I really was back then, but it comes through in some of my writings of the time, and through reflection. That doesn't mean I'm particularly happy now; marriage is a challenge. But I am happier, and kids are really fulfilling. That was the biggest lesson and revelation, how fulfilling being a parent can be.

But at no point was there any brainwashing driving me towards marriage.

There are some lessons in life one can learn through others, but for many of them, to truly understand them, one has to experience them. Over the years I've learned not to debate subjects that I only have book-learning about with those who have actual experience with them, because the truth is in those situations I really don't know what the **** I'm talking about in comparison.
Well said

I believe now if I could only get my spending in check things would be better. My oakley obsession has kind of driven a wedge between my wife and I. Money of course could go to more productive things. However my collection does make me happy and I suppose if we absolutely needed the money I could easily clear out most of my collection. I never spend what we don't have I may just spend on myself what could be used to make sure we have it a bit easier. I guess you can't take it with you when you go but you can certainly leave it behind for your loved ones. I'm working on that one step at a time.

I believe now if I could only get my spending in check things would be better. My oakley obsession has kind of driven a wedge between my wife and I. Money of course could go to more productive things. However my collection does make me happy and I suppose if we absolutely needed the money I could easily clear out most of my collection. I never spend what we don't have I may just spend on myself what could be used to make sure we have it a bit easier. I guess you can't take it with you when you go but you can certainly leave it behind for your loved ones. I'm working on that one step at a time.

Once The Wife found something to collect of her own, that took some of the pressure off.

Back