• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
Alright thanks. Not sure I'm a fan, might end up returning these for regular BI lenses.

It doesn't look like there is much of a hue at all from @Jontoad 's post (on page 3 of this forum topic). You can see the differences between BIP and BIP Prizm. BIP Prizm looks exactly like BIP from the picture, but colors have more life to them and pop - the only thing I can see that is different would be the table and deck may have a slightly more pinkish hue (due to the prizm's contrast effects) compared the the BIP's dull and classic gray (easier on the eyes). It doesn't seem like there is a huge contrast to the lens overall, but if that's what your eyes see, that's what your eyes see. Don't get something you don't like!

It doesn't look like there is much of a hue at all from @Jontoad 's post (on page 3 of this forum topic). You can see the differences between BIP and BIP Prizm. BIP Prizm looks exactly like BIP from the picture, but colors have more life to them and pop - the only thing I can see that is different would be the table and deck may have a slightly more pinkish hue (due to the prizm's contrast effects) compared the the BIP's dull and classic gray (easier on the eyes). It doesn't seem like there is a huge contrast to the lens overall, but if that's what your eyes see, that's what your eyes see. Don't get something you don't like!

Yeah, maybe it's because I had Lasik done several years ago, my eyes are more sensitive than they used to be. It just feels weird for a little bit when I take them off. I'll hold on to them for a few more days to see if I get used to it, but if not I'll exchange them for regular lenses. I like the extra contrast overall, but not worth the nuisance if it keeps bothering me.

One thing I did notice is that the polarization on these new Prizm lenses doesn't interfere as much with phone screens and infotainment screens in my car. They're easier to read than with my older BIP Oakley. Very interesting.

Yeah, maybe it's because I had Lasik done several years ago, my eyes are more sensitive than they used to be. It just feels weird for a little bit when I take them off. I'll hold on to them for a few more days to see if I get used to it, but if not I'll exchange them for regular lenses. I like the extra contrast overall, but not worth the nuisance if it keeps bothering me.

One thing I did notice is that the polarization on these new Prizm lenses doesn't interfere as much with phone screens and infotainment screens in my car. They're easier to read than with my older BIP Oakley. Very interesting.

@starfly have you decided to keep your BIP Prizm lenses or switch back to BIP?

@starfly have you decided to keep your BIP Prizm lenses or switch back to BIP?

Well, my eyes don't feel funny anymore when I take them off, so my eyes got used to them or it was just a fluke related to something else. Still doing some more testing though, in some situations when looking at trees and stuff it subdues yellow hues coming from flowers in trees, making everything look more like a shade of green than how it looks in real life. And... I'm unsure still if I want polarized lenses again. While it interferes less with phone screens and infotainment screens than my older BIP, it still does interfere somewhat. I like the glare reduction from polarized lenses when driving, such as the dash reflecting in the windshield which you barely see at all with polarized lenses, but overall I think I might prefer to just see the world as nature intended (just slightly darker). But here in CO with that bright sun most of the year, I might have to live with that trade-off. So still on the fence, will decide soon.

If I don't stick with these, I'll just get regular BI lenses.

If anyone ever finds out the LT on Black Iridium Prizm, can you please let me know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, my eyes don't feel funny anymore when I take them off, so my eyes got used to them or it was just a fluke related to something else. Still doing some more testing though, in some situations when looking at trees and stuff it subdues yellow hues coming from flowers in trees, making everything look more like a shade of green than how it looks in real life. And... I'm unsure still if I want polarized lenses again. While it interferes less with phone screens and infotainment screens than my older BIP, it still does interfere somewhat. I like the glare reduction from polarized lenses when driving, such as the dash reflecting in the windshield which you barely see at all with polarized lenses, but overall I think I might prefer to just see the world as nature intended (just slightly darker). But here in CO with that bright sun most of the year, I might have to live with that trade-off. So still on the fence, will decide soon.

If I don't stick with these, I'll just get regular BI lenses.

Which lens did you end up keeping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been trying some black prizm in shops. They trusted me and let me go outside to try
I noticed that they really increase red and green colours a little, but those impovements have their price :

- When you look at the sunglasses you see a dark brown mirror coating that is by far less elegant that the black coating of BIP sunglases
- Green and red are increased, but blue suffers the opposite, and white turns pink

In general i dont see the big deal with prizm, they are just tinted sunglasses. My old bollè TNS had a very very very slight green hue that didtn damage the white and increased all colours a lot, nothing to do with prizm.It was a pleasure, however i admit that oakley offers crispier views

Despite of all i said i think that black prizm are worthy if you get used to the pink hue, and that doesnt seem difficult becouse is not a strong hue. Its the most similar to my old sunglasses. I will wait until okley release prizm black in fuel cell

Last edited:
Hey guys,

It's been a long time since I've posted, but if Luxottica has the monopoly on brands, this site dominates the forum discussion! :drinks:

I thought I'd add a little post for anyone wanting a comparison of the Oakley Prizm Black Polarised vs the Maui Jim Neutral Grey Polarised (something I looked for, but couldn't really find).

The first pic is just the standard iPhone (11 Pro Max) - No filter, no editing, nothing (just to offer a baseline).

The second is the Maui Jim Neutral Grey (Model - Red Sands). I'm also getting the Wana tomorrow which has glass lenses - If there is a perceivable difference in the photo, I'll update the thread (I doubt there will be).

Lastly is the Oakley Prizm Black in a Holbrook XL.

All of these pics are completely unedited and I feel give a really good reflection of the different tones from the lenses.

The Prizm Black has a clear rose tint which makes the colours pop a little, but also changes the True Tone of the landscape (good old Apple with its auto capitalisation of "True Tone" there).

I think my preference is slightly towards the Maui Jims here as I usually prefer things to look as "normal" as possible. But the extra pop on the Oakley's would be welcome in the morning and late afternoon when it's not quite as bright.

That being said, I’d like to try them all in bright midday sun, as the Maui Jim’s made the overall scene look a little drab in the pics.

What do you guys prefer?

CBAF1B53-35A1-44FA-B9AB-5593BFB85986.jpeg

5743A64F-9740-4E48-85AD-6991A53F30A6.jpeg

E7AB4D8A-835B-495A-B962-D12A87BEF6B3.jpeg

have we looked at normal BIP to compare to the maui grey?
And i think the new maui grey with the green coating (not sure of maui's name for it) is a better comparison to prizm black

Back