• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
I was only looking at these as they seem to be the most popular/widely available.

It wasn't really meant to be a "this one should look like this" comparison.

My Black Iridium (non polarised) look much more like the MJ's (neutral colour with no tint).

I was only looking at these as they seem to be the most popular/widely available.

It wasn't really meant to be a "this one should look like this" comparison.

My Black Iridium (non polarised) look much more like the MJ's (neutral colour with no tint).
Looks more neutral because Prizm is meant to increase contrast. Kinda messing with the light spectrum to make other colors pop more.

black iridium doesn’t have that .

not gonna lie Maui Jim’s grey looks pretty nice lol. They got any donors we can use 😂

Hey guys,

It's been a long time since I've posted, but if Luxottica has the monopoly on brands, this site dominates the forum discussion! :drinks:

I thought I'd add a little post for anyone wanting a comparison of the Oakley Prizm Black Polarised vs the Maui Jim Neutral Grey Polarised (something I looked for, but couldn't really find).

The first pic is just the standard iPhone (11 Pro Max) - No filter, no editing, nothing (just to offer a baseline).

The second is the Maui Jim Neutral Grey (Model - Red Sands). I'm also getting the Wana tomorrow which has glass lenses - If there is a perceivable difference in the photo, I'll update the thread (I doubt there will be).

Lastly is the Oakley Prizm Black in a Holbrook XL.

All of these pics are completely unedited and I feel give a really good reflection of the different tones from the lenses.

The Prizm Black has a clear rose tint which makes the colours pop a little, but also changes the True Tone of the landscape (good old Apple with its auto capitalisation of "True Tone" there).

I think my preference is slightly towards the Maui Jims here as I usually prefer things to look as "normal" as possible. But the extra pop on the Oakley's would be welcome in the morning and late afternoon when it's not quite as bright.

That being said, I’d like to try them all in bright midday sun, as the Maui Jim’s made the overall scene look a little drab in the pics.

What do you guys prefer?

View attachment 845110

View attachment 845111

View attachment 845112

To do a really good comparison, you'll need to retake these photos with manual white balance settings. Not sure if the iPhone supports that (I don't use iPhones). When on Auto White Balance, it might mess up the the comparison.

Otherwise, Maui Jim makes excellent lenses, and they also have backside AR coatings which reduces glare and reflections even further (Oakley does not). But man, every single time I try on one of their frames, they're too big for my head. I have a fairly narrow head so finding good fitting sunglasses is always a challenge for me, but I can typically find at least a couple frames with a given brand that fit me okay. But with MJ, nope. Which is too bad, I'd love to own a pair.

To do a really good comparison, you'll need to retake these photos with manual white balance settings.
I’m not going to get that scientific.

To my eyes, the photos are a good representation of how the lenses act in the real world, and should give people an idea if they stumble across it.

Everyone sees colour slightly different anyway 😀

Believe or not guys - colours are just words. No word = no colour.

Blue for example - was invented by the Renaissance artists in the 1400’s when they invented ultra marine. Before that the sky was the same ‘colour’ as the land.

Get yer head around that one!! 😎😀

I’m not going to get that scientific.

To my eyes, the photos are a good representation of how the lenses act in the real world, and should give people an idea if they stumble across it.

Everyone sees colour slightly different anyway 😀

But - the settings on the devise will show it differently on each different device.

I’m a huge fan of all three black lenses. Each has its own unique purposes:

Black Iridium polarized- best lens for straight up knocking down bright sunlight and glare, when you are driving into sunlight this is the lens I prefer.

maui grey lens- has a bi-gradient mirror on top and bottom of lens but not in the middle. Nice for bright mid-day activities. these have a little more contrast vs BIP but I agree they make the world look more drab or cold.

Prizm black polarized- rose based and not as dark as BIP. I can notice the difference on bright sunny days on snow. I do prefer prizm black polarized over Maui’s grey lens specifically when you want a bit more color pop, however BIP is still my preferred ‘bright sunshine‘ lens.

As a side-note I wish they would make a prizm chrome polarized lens.

Back