1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Zeke

Zeke - The Retarded Battle Continues ... Premium Member

Anybody ever mod a metal-topped case like a Counter Top Display for the installation of a lighting fixture?

Basically in my mind I am picturing using a hole saw into the aluminum top ... obviously dead center ... & mounting a light flush from the inside, up.

I am thinking a simple, white/clear LED is fine ... no need for a fixture that has multiple colors, ... but I would like to be able to dim it ... I can build a dimmer into the wiring, that is simple.

Anything anyone has done? Can show? Can offer for lighting ideas? What size light would be enough ... I do not need something obnoxiously bright, ...

Thank you, ...

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Lexkempo

Lexkempo Frog Fanatic

Some folks have kept it simple and stuck in some battery some LED pucks ... No wires ... No fuss... No mess ...

motoGP_fanatic likes this.
  3. Oakley-olic

Oakley-olic Oakley Expert Premium Member Lifetime Member

You might want to consider a simple strip LED on the front edge. Inexpensive and no cutting or risk to a classic case.

4. Zeke

I bought a LED strip kit for my Cube ... from Ikea ... still have yet to put it in.

I will add, I was real disappointed to find out that the top of the Counter Top Display is metal, ... & basically has no top ... is sunken in a few inches ... so I know I am going to have to make a "top" for it ... just my OCD.

Love ya, @Lexkempo , but I just cannot do the stick up puck lights ... just can't. Will it do the job well? Yes, ... but ...

Last edited: 12/5/15
  5. M3KDJ

M3KDJ Oakley Enthusiast Premium Member

@Zeke I did mine a couple of years ago. Used the ikea strip LED kit. Cut 2 rectangular slots in the top with a jigsaw, a couple of blobs of glue from a glue gun to hold them in place.

Ran the cables down one of the corners and mounted the power supply under the bottom with sticky pads. Small hole in the back for the power cable that and an inline on/off switch.

Looked good and had plenty of light, from the outside you couldn't tell it had been messed with.

6. Zeke

Bump ...

Maybe another idea or two ... ?

7. SiRacer420

SiRacer420 I've got a few Oakleys

I'm just hoping you get some good ideas I can borrow lol

Zeke likes this.
  8. Zeke

Feel free, Sir ... Good ideas so far, but I believe there are never enough to hear about.

9. del518

del518 I have a few pair.....

I bought the following from Lowes today. I could have purchase a similar setup from IKEA cheaper......but didn't want to wait.
    - Modding "Counter Top Display" For Light ... - image.jpeg
    I had to drill a hole on top of each corner to run the wire through. The before and after pic s below.
    BEFORE:
    - Modding "Counter Top Display" For Light ... - image.png
    AFTER:
    - Modding "Counter Top Display" For Light ... - image.png
    Mine is not a counter top......but just another idea for you.....good luck!

mjt42 likes this.
  10. pistolpetefan23

pistolpetefan23 Oakley Expert Premium Member

Are those remote controlled lights, or do they have to be turned on by switch or plugging in each time? Timer?

Are there any battery-operated lights people would recommend for those of us less mechanically-able? Specific links are always helpful.