• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Monster Dog Vs Monster Pup In-Depth Review (a Little Late But Better Than Never)

This is to help people decide between the Monster Dog (MD) vs the Monster Pup (MP). The two models reviewed are the Monster Dog Dark Translucent Olive/Dark Grey and Monster Pup Olive Tortoise/Dark Grey, I chose these two colour ways because they are very similar to each other. In the first picture below you can see that the MD and MP are almost identical in length and share similar frame leg contours, the main variation being the MP's thinner leg:

MP on top
IMG_0832-1.jpg

The MP's fit is a little bit narrower than the MD and as a result hugs the head more:

MP on the left
IMG_0835-1.jpg

In terms of actual face coverage they are very similar, the main variation is the upward angling of the MD's frame to incorporate bigger lenses:

MP on top:
IMG_0833-1.jpg

IMG_0834-1.jpg

By design the MP is a far more angular beast contrasted against MD's smooth rounded edges. The MP squares off abruptly at the edge of the lenses in a similar way to the Gascan, making it a sort of Gascan Monster Dog hybrid.

Monster Dog:
IMG_0837-1.jpg

Monster Pup:
IMG_0836-1.jpg

Conclusion: There is very little between the MD and MP and it may even come down to individual tastes. The Monster Dog is a more classical frame that has taken your average sports/casual eyewear and pumped out all the dimensions to create a funtional frame that can withstand a 12 guage shotgun round at 14 meters (no sure about the rest of your face). For people who feel the MD's dimensions a little cumbersome or for those who just lack a big "boofhead" then the Monster Pup would be much more suiting and subtle. If I had to classify use in a sentence then I would say this: Monster Dog for going bush and Monster Pup for going city. Having said that, both frames are virtually interchangeable with the monster pup just being the little brother who decided not to "beef up".

Pup on left Dog on right
IMG_0830-2.jpg

Back