1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. dalecooper

dalecooper Oakley Beginner

Hello! I've joined the forum a while ago and was browsing thry the forum. I've owned a lot of Oakley's in the past and currently i own about 5 modells. No i am getting more interested in the X-metal modells but where to start and what to buy?? I don't want a limited modell cause i want to wear it. What is a good modell to start and what about prices?? Didn't know there were so many modells! Hope to learn from you experts!

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Carrera1963

Carrera1963 Lover of Juliet Premium Member

Welcome Agent Cooper :)

As a collector of them, I'd recommend the Juliet:

Newbie Looking For A Juliet/Romeo - w6OO9Z.jpg

It's a versatile frame, readily available and quite often the cheapest of the x-metals. Plasma and carbon finishes are easily found and will give you a feel for x-metals in general, and if you like them. Kronin once called the Juliet the "gateway x-metal", from which you can branch out to the others - or, like me, you can faithfully stick with Juliet.

3. dalecooper

Do I have to collect all these modells?:cool-33: I like the Juliet but this one is available in Ti and Magnesium? And what is a good price to pay for one depending on which state it is in ofcourse....

4. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

Well considering I have twice as many Juliets as I have all other x-metals combined, it's not like I'm really straying much...;) And my most recent pickup was a Juliet...

Carrera1963 likes this.
  5. kronin323

Yes. Once you buy an x-metal, collecting an example of every x-metal frame style is absolutely mandatory.

Well, no, not really...

There is no Magnesium x-metal finish. There are Ti Juliets but they are rarer / harder to find. If you like Ti, start out with plasma - it's similar, easy to find, and more affordable.

Once you qualify for the forum exchange section, you can probably find one (without box / coin) for under $300, if you pay attention.

6. Carrera1963

Not "need" to, no, but you might want to!

All the x-metals are made from a titanium alloy, but there are a number of different frame finishes for the Juliet:

Plasma (more matte early on, becoming shinier)
    X-metal
    Titanium
    TiO2
    Polished
    Carbon
    Brown
    Polished carbon

Those in the picture all cost me between £100 and £750 apiece (~$160 to $1200) but they are more expensive here in the UK - if you're in the US, they are cheaper in general and sometimes even come in under $100.

Even if they aren't in great condition, x-metals can be "put right" with new lenses, rubber and a nose "tune-up". That starts to cost though, and you need to factor it in when buying a rougher pair. $150-200 should get you a good enough starter pair, and there is always a market for Juliets if you don't like them.

There are fakes about, so you might want to run any prospective purchase past the forum - there is also a thread on here about tell-tales to look out for on the fakes.

discostu likes this.
  7. kronin323

Oh and if by that you meant the two-tone finish, that's TiO2. Yes, there are OEM TiO2 Juliets. But they, too, are harder to find and more expensive; you're better off starting with plasma to see if you like them and if you really want TiO2 you can get the x-man to refinish them.

TheWannaBe likes this.
  8. dalecooper

I see thnx for the info! And how to spot whenever it is a replica or not? Since nowadays everything is copied.... Currently there is one for sale here in the Netherlands for 300 euro.

9. Carrera1963

I agree with the recommendation to try plasma first - the most numerous by what seems like quite a margin, quite a classic and not too blingy finish. Not everyone rates it as much as Kronin and I do, mind.

kronin323 likes this.
  10. kronin323

Yeah, the majority think the standard x-metal finish is the best of the more common ones.

TheWannaBe likes this.