• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Pit Boss disassemble

Oh ok, but you might want to ask @zwc0442 before drilling. You don't want to damage the arms nor the pins, since you would be drilling blindly into them. Even if your frame is broken, you should be able to remove the stems, in whatever way Zach does it
I definitely wouldn’t do anything until I’ve asked every person possible haha. I searched and didn’t see any other method mentioned, so any input at all would be appreciated!

Maybe a strong magnet could draw the pin out?

The pins are stainless on PB1 so not very magnetic. I have taken them out. Usually takes an ultrasonic cleaner and alot of patience to slowly tap em out by tapping the frame and the pin slowly works its way out. But if it's a previously painted frame or one that has seen alot of abuse the pins don't like to come out. For pb2 I've not take the hinge pins out on those. The hinge is spring loaded sort of I'm not sure of they'll come out with that tension on it.

The pins are stainless on PB1 so not very magnetic. I have taken them out. Usually takes an ultrasonic cleaner and alot of patience to slowly tap em out by tapping the frame and the pin slowly works its way out. But if it's a previously painted frame or one that has seen alot of abuse the pins don't like to come out. For pb2 I've not take the hinge pins out on those. The hinge is spring loaded sort of I'm not sure of they'll come out with that tension on it.
Thank you for the info!

I’m assuming you have the frames in the ultrasonic cleaner (with some water?) and tap on them while they’re in there?

I didn’t know that difference existed between the PB1 and PB2, interesting.

I use ultrasonic cleaner mostly just to help free up anything in the pin/hinge and then tap it outside the cleaner and keep repeating. Sometimes there's alot of gross people schmooze inside the hinges on some of the pairs that get sent in to work on.

I use ultrasonic cleaner mostly just to help free up anything in the pin/hinge and then tap it outside the cleaner and keep repeating. Sometimes there's alot of gross people schmooze inside the hinges on some of the pairs that get sent in to work on.
Schmoo, reminds me of Ave on YouTube haha.

Do you tap with a rubber mallet or something? Or just your hand? I apologize for asking you so many questions, but I would rather avail myself of your experience and knowledge than mess it up on my own :agree:

Schmoo, reminds me of Ave on YouTube haha.

Do you tap with a rubber mallet or something? Or just your hand? I apologize for asking you so many questions, but I would rather avail myself of your experience and knowledge than mess it up on my own :agree:
I do watch alot of Ave lol.

Update: I successfully removed the pin from the hinge on my Pit Boss 2. I’m going to post a video about it, but in the meantime, here are the steps:

1. Remove the front plate. 2 Philips on the inside (ph 000) and the Torx orbital screw (t5). The hole for the hinge pin will then be visible in the top of the frame.
2. Holding the sunglasses upside down, and with the arm (ear stem) open, tap the frame against your hand. This may take a while. Took me approximately 12 minutes. Edit: The second hinge pin I did with the arm closed a little and it worked. Didn’t work with the arm open on that side.
3. The hinge pin will slowly come out far enough to be grabbed with fingers. I didn’t use pliers, and I’d avoid it to prevent damaging the pin.
4. Remove the arm from the frame, but DON’T LOSE THE SPRING!!!!! It’s a squished oval of metal that goes in a square in the frame where the arm sits. Pics below:

I did run into a problem. One of the pins gets to the edge of the hole, and won’t come out any farther. I suspect this is due to some damage caused by whatever machine puts the pins in, as there is a mark on the frame on one side of the hinge pin hole. The other hinge pin hole had no such marking, so I don’t think it’s a normal part of the production process. I’m trying different methods to get the pin out, final straw would be to drill the top of the hole a tiny bit to make it uniform.

Edit: @btw73 had the same issue and used a very small drill bit to clear the top of the hole to get the pin out. Apparently this is a production thing, but only on one side?

Further Edit: Got another frame with pin hole issues on BOTH sides, so must be common. Pics:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edit: I used a 1/16 bit to clear the top of the hole and then kept the arm closed while I tapped the pin out, worked.

Update: Tried freezing the part, but then I read that cold temps make o-matter brittle, so I abandoned that plan.

Edit: Exploded view pics of the PB2 components:

F32C6951-3264-4AA2-AD2B-47470088031E.jpeg

This is a pic of the space where the spring goes in the frame:

FFFEB867-BC20-40ED-AC2F-D34CFE137917.jpeg

image.jpg

Arm taken apart:

ACC97801-8991-4D04-870B-43F13BB21B43.jpeg

Last edited:
Back