• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Romeo 1s - Information

JLR

Oakley Beginner
Hi Romeo's and Juliets,

I am on the lookout for a pair of mint condition Romeo 1s boxed with coin and original lenses but having never seen a pair in the flesh would appreciate any information you learned folk can provide on them. Ideally I would like to know what to look for should I ever get the opportunity to buy? Are they heavy? Do the frames break easily, corrode or get pitted over time? Are they made from titanium? Is there such a thing as a mint pair? I seem to gravitate to the darker coloured frames and blue iridium lenses although I wouldn't count out red lenses. I take it that once I get hold of a pair that there is no maintenance required or will I need to change gaskets, ear socks and nose bombs regularly?

J L R

Did you just now hear about XMetals? If you just use the search function, then all your answers would be answered.

Mint/untouched in box is gonna cost you. qq

They weigh 47 grammes. The main things to note are: the screws in the top and bottom HAVE to be a Torx 6 bolt, (not hex or any other type.), see the pic for a detailed break down(using a diagram from a Reps repair kit.
6899058392_9620c57d95_o.jpg
KGrHqVnsE8VFVM4sBPWEF9OR560_58 by funky-trixtar, on Flickr
Most have a Serial no. on the inside of the nose bridge(the ones without are warranty replacements). The genuine ones have earstems(arms) which DON'T curl around at the tips.

Last edited:
They were recalled because of a design flaw where the frame inadvertently “hinged” at the flexible joints where the lenses sat. If you do a search under “spider cracks”, you will see exactly where and how it happens.

As @Slojack said, they can be found, but will cost you just south of $1000 shipped in mint condition.

Delamination of lenses can occur. This is normal for their age. Try not to excessively clean the lenses. The iridium coaung can also be rubbed off if vigorous.

Make sure all replacement extra rubbers are there.

The metal itself is tough, but finishes can corrode with use in the nose area and from resting them on abrasive surfaces.

Rubber will deteriorate with time, but can be partially restored by boiling in water for a while. Be careful when you do this, though.

It’s normal for them to have one arm higher than the other when resting on a table. @htrap2294 can shed more light on this.

They are tough to “fake”, especially with a box etc. the serials on the boxes were often handwritten. This is normal.

You will need to maintain them as rubbers deteriorate.

When putting them on your face, slide them down from the top of your head while keeping the arms open and parallel to the ground. Put them on like you are putting on a hat. This minimises stress on the lenses if you don’t want to risk damaging them.

Romeo 1 came in dark frame with black iridium or lighter frame with gold iridium and lastly plasma frame with fire iridium ( looks reddish ) no boxed sets will come standard with deep red or blue lenses but you can buy custom cuts for them later.

Colorways were X-Metal/Blk Iridium, Plasma/Fire Iridium and Titanium/Gold Iridium - all others are custom frame and/or lenses

If this will be your first pair I suggest instead of getting a mint one with box and coin to get a beater, to try with, IF you LOOOOOVE them get your mint pair otherwise I just saved you about 600$

they are alot larger and heavier then both Juliet and X-Squared. They are not for everyone thats just my 2 cents.

Mine is a beater customized with cobalt blue cerakote and in my not so humble opinion They look fantastic!

FD239187-F447-42F0-8AC0-0E530272DF26.jpeg

Also, original stock lenses were Black, Gold, & Fire iridium, non-polarized.

@cacatman your elaborate description of putting them on, lol, simply put, like putting on goggles. unless you wear your hat over your eyes. :cool-33:

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Back