• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Tinfoil Lens Question

So, it looks like a small modification with a dremel could make it work. My question would be, does the Tinfoil lens fit in the Tinfoil Carbon? This situation reminds me of the JFL & Jupiter Carbon issue. Jupiter Carbon lenses are too big for a JFL, but will fit with minimal trimming. However, JFL lenses fit in a Jupiter Carbon with no modification (it has been a while since I tried, but I think that was the outcome...:crazy:).

Im suspicious of the lens that was not bought from OEM.
I highly doubt the orbitals of standard Tin Foil are different from the carbon.
All of the carbon series from Tin Can to Jupiters only changed the ear stems if Im not mistaken.
Thus China wouldnt build 2 sets of orbital, Due to cost and availabliity of the frames, this dosent seem to follow Oakleys pattern.
Id like to see a Carbon Tinfoil taken out of OEM and checked

and that top picture almost looked like a Tin Can lens
Just my 2 cents

Im suspicious of the lens that was not bought from OEM.
I highly doubt the orbitals of standard Tin Foil are different from the carbon.
All of the carbon series from Tin Can to Jupiters only changed the ear stems if Im not mistaken.
Thus China wouldnt build 2 sets of orbital, Due to cost and availabliity of the frames, this dosent seem to follow Oakleys pattern.
Id like to see a Carbon Tinfoil taken out of OEM and checked

and that top picture almost looked like a Tin Can lens
Just my 2 cents
Sorry @OakleyFreak, they are different. The carbons were pulled from an oem frame as the person used the frame for rx.

Pictured are tinfoil lenses, not Tincan. I wouldnt have any reason to be deceitful... I also took my time and took my steel ones apart to get this picture.

Tincans have a much larger height. Tinfoils are 58 x 37. Tincans are 58 x 39. I can show a pic of a Tincan lens next to a Tinfoil lens tomorrow if you like.

As to taking a Dremel to them... I guess it's possible, but remember the lip(bevel?) on the tinfoil and tincans lenses are very pronounced to sit inside the frame properly. If you Dremel them I would expect them to be loose.

AND Tincan Carbon and steel lenses are not interchangeable. They are two different setups.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This is very interesting actually. Thanks guys for the imput! This is actually a very informative thread so far

Sorry @OakleyFreak, they are different. The carbons were pulled from an oem frame as the person used the frame for rx.

Pictured are tinfoil lenses, not Tincan. I wouldnt have any reason to be deceitful... I also took my time and took my steel ones apart to get this picture.

Tincans have a much larger height. Tinfoils are 58 x 37. Tincans are 58 x 39. I can show a pic of a Tincan lens next to a Tinfoil lens tomorrow if you like.

As to taking a Dremel to them... I guess it's possible, but remember the lip(bevel?) on the tinfoil and tincans lenses are very pronounced to sit inside the frame properly. If you Dremel them I would expect them to be loose.

AND Tincan Carbon and steel lenses are not interchangeable. They are two different setups.

Wasnt questioning your integrity
No need for the Tin Can to Tinfoil pics, I have both Steel and Carbon Tin Foils
I may compare someday just for ****ZZZ and Giggles
Still find it odd that Lux would make a diff frame on the carbon for lens size. Dosent make sense form a bushiness perspective.

Wasnt questioning your integrity
No need for the Tin Can to Tinfoil pics, I have both Steel and Carbon Tin Foils
I may compare someday just for ****ZZZ and Giggles
Still find it odd that Lux would make a diff frame on the carbon for lens size. Dosent make sense form a bushiness perspective.

I would like you to compare as well. Maybe I got a bad cut lens? Would like to see what your results are.

Very interesting topic, I have two tinfoils carbons, and always thought the only difference was in the (carbon or not) legs of the frame..

Back