• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Wiretap 2.0 Review

WildWires

I should Work at Oakley
Hi everybody- I picked up a pair of these Wiretap 2.0 glasses a couple days ago.

These were on my list to pick up because about 10 years ago I got a pair of half wire 2.0 and I loved them, they were actually the first pair that I really liked. I like the half rim design in a wire frame- and I actually got 2 different color ways, prizm daily polarized in a pewter frame, as well as prizm deep water polarized in a matte lead frame. Between the two of them I personally prefer the daily/pewter. One thing I think we all know is Oakley/Luxxotica’s quality control is subpar which is actually why I am not keeping the deep water/lead pair, the hinges don’t feel right (I had this same problem with a pair of whiskers too). It is still a sweet color for people who like that, just not for me. Anyhow, a few key comments with pictures below:

Fit:
I consider myself to have a large/extra large head (hat size 7 5/8 - 7 3/4). These fit me well. The fit on these is extremely similar to the square wire 2014, but with spring hinges. The lens is taller versus the Whisker 2020, which I do like. The spring hinges make these really comfortable, and I personally think these fit very similar to a Flak 2.0, original Flak Jacket, maybe even half jacket 1.0?

Style:
I think to me these remind me of a cross between the half wire 2.0, and the original wire taps. They have that subtle ‘Oakley’ wire look. The temples have some unique styling (it is all metal by the way, not unobtanium style detail). There ARE unobtanium socks in the back of the wire frame similar to all other wire pairs, which makes them comfortable. I think the pewter/prizm daily polarized is a nod back to the original wiretaps’ cement/OO BIP colorway.

Lens:
Not really much to say here. They are prizm daily polarized. If you aren’t familiar with that lens, it is a contrast polarized lens that has a rose/purple look when looking through it, with a grey-ish look when looking at them. There isn’t any iridium coating (that I know of). I do like the lens, but that is my own personal opinion. They have some unique color ways available, just make sure you have a chance to try on your individual pair due to Lux’s QC.

Overall Thoughts:
I like this pair- it is a nod back to when Oakley was ‘Oakley’ but still has some of the newer technology like Prizm lens. The Wiretap 2.0 is a bit heavier versus the Square Wire 2014 or Whisker 2020, but it does balance well enough on the face. They do make this pair in a titanium version for Rx too so that might be a solution for some people. I like this pair for nostalgic reasons. Other than that I think it is a nice add to the wire line-up along with square wire 2014, whisker 2020, ejector, and the new savitar. Just my initial thoughts.
CC5ECFDE-4A82-4663-B75D-3310378251A1.jpeg
B04CD1B9-BFC2-4DEB-A823-91BF4636F019.jpeg
1FD8F817-E990-41D8-B3EA-B96C3FF71474.jpeg

I have found in my wear of these frames so far the nose bridge separation for the pads is larger than I need in order for them to sit on my face where they should. Bring the nose bridge supports in a smidge on each side brought the frames up probably a millimeter or two. Which put the viewing spectrum where I wanted it as well top to bottom and side to side now.

Everyones face structure is different and this is something I noticed with these vs the narrower bridge support placement on the Ejector and Savitar

I talked to an O-store manager the other day and he said these lenses are held in with a set of wire almost like fishing line versus the old versions used screws which led to lens cracking. Really interesting! I wish they would‘ve made a 6-base sunglass version with the titanium frame too but oh well.

I talked to an O-store manager the other day and he said these lenses are held in with a set of wire almost like fishing line versus the old versions used screws which led to lens cracking. Really interesting! I wish they would‘ve made a 6-base sunglass version with the titanium frame too but oh well.
Yeah you can see it if you turn them upside down to see the groove on lens

I second the titanium variant on all wires

Some new colorways in the O parts inventory. These must be coming soon.

SI Variant of the Prizm Maritime Polarized and Prizm Road are both on my want list. I enjoy my Ejector Prizm Maritime Polarized quite a bit.

Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 23-00-16 Assistance, repairs and spare parts Oakley Oakley reg;.png

Prizm road actually isn’t a bad idea in this frame. it could maybe handle light sports or bicycling. I wish it was Prizm road black but oh well I guess.

I second the titanium variant on all wires
Same, considering that both copies of WireTap 2.0 I had , the nylon was starting to get pulled from the lens within a week if it wasn't already having a gap there. And the little wire lug that goes on top of the ear stop rocked back and forth a little with any kind of handling on both copies.

Liked the idea/design but I don't think every copy is going to have that great a quality control, and even using a C5 wire would have been better (but I guess the nylon has some elasticity if they didn't want to have to figure out the right pressure to hold the lens in). I'd be interesting if they had done the Wire Tap 2.0 as a full frame rather than half frame.

Back