• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Olympics 2014 New Oakleys!

Oakleys at the Olympic Games | Page 3 | Oakley Forum

Enamel Green, supposed to be release Fall of 2014.

The frames are called 80's Green. Quite awesome I think. They say that they will become available later this year.

Typical current Oakley thinking.

The largest world's sporting event going on at the moment - and the greatest opportunity to showcase your products on some top athletes.
So, what do they do? Give them a colorway that is not yet available.

Now - you and I as collectors will go to the website, see that they are not available, and then keep that in mind for later to keep looking for them.
But the average Joe who might not have considered Oakleys before will look at the athletes' eyewear and go to the website and . . . oh . . . . WTF. Oh well never mind.

Huge marketing opportunity missed.

The average Joe might not care about the brand and buy into that. They will say "Wow! I want me a pair of those!" and look to buy some. And buy some NOW - just like their favourite athlete or team.
Does Oakley not want to sell sunglasses anymore?

Imagine your favourite sports team doing this. Their players all sporting the new season kit, but you can't support them by buying their new team shirt/jersey until next season.

Sorry but this kind of marketing mis-management boils my p155.

Well said Herbsley. This has been bothering me too. I would gladly hand Lux money for 80s green frames right now. But instead I will be custom painting a frame in this color. So no money for you Lux. By the time this colorway hits the market, most people will have forgotten about the Olympics and these green frames anyway. ...very frustrating

Keep Watching Speed Skating, Keep wanting those clear,lenses with some kind of blue color when reflecting light. Must have for indoor shooting and reducing glare on white targets from fluorescent lights.

Typical current Oakley thinking.

The largest world's sporting event going on at the moment - and the greatest opportunity to showcase your products on some top athletes.
So, what do they do? Give them a colorway that is not yet available.

Now - you and I as collectors will go to the website, see that they are not available, and then keep that in mind for later to keep looking for them.
But the average Joe who might not have considered Oakleys before will look at the athletes' eyewear and go to the website and . . . oh . . . . WTF. Oh well never mind.

Huge marketing opportunity missed.

The average Joe might not care about the brand and buy into that. They will say "Wow! I want me a pair of those!" and look to buy some. And buy some NOW - just like their favourite athlete or team.
Does Oakley not want to sell sunglasses anymore?

Imagine your favourite sports team doing this. Their players all sporting the new season kit, but you can't support them by buying their new team shirt/jersey until next season.

Sorry but this kind of marketing mis-management boils my p155.
Actually I know for sure one sport that does this......in NHRA you cannot get the team shirts for say the 2013 year until 2014. So the teams are wearing those shirts all year of 2013 and then they move onto the new shirts they wear in 2014 and THEN you are allowed to buy the 2013 shirts but not the 2014 until 2015.
There is a reason that they do this though and I completely understand why.

I understand why Oakley didn't want to release the green until the Olympics are over...They wanted it to be clear who is on Team Oakley and who isn't. If any athlete could go out and buy the green it wouldn't hold the same meaning. I actually think it is quite innovative and amazing. I'm loving watching the Olympics this year and being able to spot team Oakley soo easily. And personally I'm glad Oakley isn't just all about the money, selling the green now just to make the green. It shows that they are still somewhat Oakley, somewhat different. I mean you don't see a Team Nike or Team Adidas repping that hard. But that's just me :cool-20:

I swathe Air Brake and Radarlock yesterday at the Local O Store. On the inside of the arm on the Radarlock it had "NPI" stamped on it. Dies anyone know what that means or stands for?

Keep Watching Speed Skating, Keep wanting those clear,lenses with some kind of blue color when reflecting light. Must have for indoor shooting and reducing glare on white targets from fluorescent lights.

They are probably Ruby Clear or HI Persimmon...

I swathe Air Brake and Radarlock yesterday at the Local O Store. On the inside of the arm on the Radarlock it had "NPI" stamped on it. Dies anyone know what that means or stands for?

Saw them at the O-Store today. Loving the Radarlock.

Latest Posts

Back