• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

OTT Lens orientation

Oh I forgot that when I was digging through OTT threads I encountered @Oakley Els and had a conversation with him. He says that he has plaintiffs adjusted into his OTTs and seems to be happy with it.

The bump doesn't matter at all, its a vestigial aspect except for possibly keeping tension on the lens.
There is no groove in the OTT that the bump fits into as the Mars has a functional bump and recess.
You are correct and all have agreed that the BT is too short for a perfect match but I can tell you from personal experience that they will leave flat spots that can be hidden by rotating them inside the orbital.
You would also be stuck with a much more limited tint selection with Plaintiff donors.
Lastly, I think Chris was referring to his next OTT cut as well.

Yeah plaintiffs are limited for sure but they do have +red which would be killers in my opinion and also I'm waiting for a ruby set which is all I need to be happy :) Personally I'd prefer to choose from what plaintiffs offer than looking at gaps. I haven't seen customized tacos in person so I can't say if the outcome would be pleasing to me :/ I've asked few guys here who have tacos in OTTs to take a close pic and share but it turns out that making a photo is too much of an assignment so as for today I'm sticking to my initial thoughts that tacos aren't suitable.
I know that Chris was referring to upcoming cuts BUT few moments earlier he was sure he doesn't want to play with OTTs cuts anymore - I just had to tease him a little bit :D

[...]Funny three people saying three different orientations on bump/notch. Weird!
Even stranger, if I look closely at the lens groove in my OTT's orbitals, I see small shiny spots in each of the four possible bump locations, which implies that at some point the lenses have been installed with the bump in every possible orientation!
My guess is that the previous owner(s) of my OTT switched the lenses around when they became scratched or marred to try to keep the clearest possible view through the lenses.
I can think of one possible useful function for the lens bump (besides increasing tightness of the lens in the orbital): if we knew what orientation it was supposed to have, we would be able to distinguish between left and right lenses. But, unless the lenses are prescription, I'm not sure why we would care ...

I've asked few guys here who have tacos in OTTs to take a close pic and share but it turns out that making a photo is too much of an assignment so as for today I'm sticking to my initial thoughts that tacos aren't suitable.
You don't believe what other (established) members have done and experienced without pics? Maybe they just don't have the time or the interest to "prove" to you what they have "told" you works.
You don't see the gaps once the lens is inserted into the orbital and rotated, that hides them and makes them perfectly acceptable when rotated.
Once in who is going to remove them to see the flat spots that are not visible?
I understand that you don't understand why this works and I admitted previously that I did not either, not caring enough to bother to do a detailed analysis of the orbital tray shape in the OTT which would reveal the answer. I don't have to understand (though I do) how my cars or guns work- only that they do. Why and how are secondary.
@Spenc could you post up a pic please? If not I will drive home at lunch to take a pic of my violets and grab a belt while I am there.
What grown-a&& man forgets a belt when they go to work? :)

You don't believe what other (established) members have done and experienced without pics? Maybe they just don't have the time or the interest to "prove" to you what they have "told" you works.
You don't see the gaps once the lens is inserted into the orbital and rotated, that hides them and makes them perfectly acceptable when rotated.
I understand that you don't understand why this works and I admitted previously that I did not either, not caring enough to bother to do a detailed analysis of the orbital tray shape in the OTT which would reveal the answer. I don't have to understand (though I do) how my cars or guns work- only that they do. Why and how are secondary.
@Spenc could you post up a pic please? If not I will drive home at lunch to take a pic of my violets and grab a belt while I am there.
Hi buddy pics of the custom cut lenses you done for me I am very happy

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I do believe it works if you say so I'm just saying that I politely asked for a picture no more no less. If you ask for a photo and you get a line saying "it works" as a reply it's just not what you asked for, no matter how established the asked person would be. If he doesn't have time then he can just ignore the question.
I have got an optician here who does the cuts BUT he's not O fanatic or anything. If I give a guy bigger donor than the actual finished lens then there's no discussion but if I would give him a taco he probably would've said that it's not a proper donor and the outcome (in my opinion) would be unpredictable. I just didn't want to end up with a pair of lenses I don't need. I was in need of a photo 2 months ago, It all doesn't matter now since I know that plaintiffs work so screw the tacos :)

Ya, I'm sort of a people pleaser. Do you remember that @rzurzel
Hehe. I really don't want to mess with the big taco donors anymore. Getting the flat spot perfectly split with my Briot edger is unpredictable/inconsistent. So I'm only batting like .750, I like 1.00 in most cases ;)
So now I hear plaintiff lenses work! I see some emerald on sale Oakley.com
I wonder who will let me borrow their OTT!?
Sounds like an easy job, no brainer. My inexperience with this particular frame makes me less of an expert on this one.
But orientation does matter. That I know. The prism must measure base in. So for example if right lens was switched to left side optics would be fine IF it was rotated exactly 180 degrees. Think about that for a minute!

Latest Posts

Back