1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Jruta

Jruta Oakley Beginner

what is the recommended lube for penny hinges? Thanks

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. THE X-MAN

THE X-MAN Forum Sponsor Gold Forum Sponsor Premium Member Lifetime Member

Anything you can find around the house
    WD-40

3. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

I've never lubed Penny hinges so I can't say for sure what's best, but x-man certainly knows his x-metal maintenance stuff. Perhaps WD-40 is the best choice.

In general, though, I believe people overuse WD-40 as a lubricant. It was originally created to protect components of the Atlas missile from rust and corrosion. The name is an abbreviation of "Water Displacement, 40th formula". For household use, its best application is to loosen jammed or tight metal components. I just used it last weekend to return a completely jammed combination padlock that'd been outside for a few years to fine working order.

Aside from a propellant, it contains a volatile hydrocarbon which penetrates and evaporates, and a light lubricant that stays behind.

For GP long-term lubrication I usually use 3-in-One oil. It tends to last a lot longer. Perfect example is squeaky door hinges - they'll stay smooth and silent a lot longer if you pop the pins and give them a light coating of 3-in-One, instead of just a WD-40 spray...

Then there's various specialty oils like DuPont Krytox, Super Lube, NyoGel, and Nano-Oil. Personally, I'm looking to pick up some Nano-Oil...

Last edited: 6/25/16
    cyclerdoug and motoGP_fanatic like this.
  4. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

Good luck.

5. THE X-MAN

Actually when I take those things apart I use an oil called "weapon Shield" it keeps that copper plunger lubricated so it doesn't corrode in place.

6. supersharp

supersharp X-Metal Connoisseur Premium Member

To OP, what is the nature of the problem with the hinges? Certainly everything discussed above should work, but another solution might be something very light like Rem oil.

Raptor and motoGP_fanatic like this.
  7. Jruta

Jruta Oakley Beginner

Thanks you all. Nothing is wrong with the hinges- just looking to prevent any future problems with wear and tear

motoGP_fanatic and supersharp like this.
  8. joecool862

joecool862 Keeper of the Skull Premium Member Lifetime Member

I've been using this on all my xmetal screws since you told me about it. I bought a small jar, enough to last a loooong time when you are just coating screws and washers, lol.

motoGP_fanatic likes this.
  9. THE X-MAN

Yep,and it's waterproof too.

joecool862 likes this.