• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Photographing lenses

Orion

I hit things with sticks....
Does anyone have some helpful tips on taking pictures of lenses? More specifically to show their condition mainly scratches and imperfections.

I've tried many ways and I just cannot seem to get it right.

I've tried with DSLR and an iphone, indoor and outdoor. I'm just not able to capture them very accurately.

I try to get them with nothing in the background. Like nothing on the ceiling to reflect. It doesn't always work but when I get a light or clouds or anything in the reflection, I notice I have a harder time seeing the scratches or marks or whatever it is. I also like to go from the inside while the lens is facing a bottom case light. You know the white plexi at the bottom of a 3.0? Turn on the light and it usually captures the imperfections pretty good.

@Funky-Trixtar is really good at getting them as is @NuttyOAK13Y

I try to get them with nothing in the background. Like nothing on the ceiling to reflect. It doesn't always work but when I get a light or clouds or anything in the reflection, I notice I have a harder time seeing the scratches or marks or whatever it is. I also like to go from the inside while the lens is facing a bottom case light. You know the white plexi at the bottom of a 3.0? Turn on the light and it usually captures the imperfections pretty good.

@Funky-Trixtar is really good at getting them as is @NuttyOAK13Y

Thank you for the mention, Si. Most of the time it's down to having the open light source of a conservatory. Lots of light will always help.

Last edited:
Check out any of @X-Metal Beast's photos of his collection. He uses natural light indoors. Always comes up beautiful.

If you're trying to photograph lenses to show condition e.g. for sale threads, then, to get a consistent backlight to show the defects of the lens, I usually photograph a clean lens (dirt will be indistinguishable from pock marks or scratches) with a white screensaver on a computer monitor in the background. Gives a good even light across the whole lens. Some people photograph against a light bulb, but sometimes the overexposure "irons" out the defects and the contrast is too great for the other parts of the lens that don't get illuminated.

Does anyone have some helpful tips on taking pictures of lenses? More specifically to show their condition mainly scratches and imperfections.

I've tried many ways and I just cannot seem to get it right.

I've tried with DSLR and an iphone, indoor and outdoor. I'm just not able to capture them very accurately.
If you focus on the lens, make sure you are using an aperture of at least F8 as the frame will be out of focus. Best time for outdoor photo's of your Oakley's is summer as the sun is high and you get the best reflection from the lenses. Some pictures taken in the summer here.

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_3621.jpg

IMG_9555.jpg

IMG_9992.jpg

Latest Posts

Back