• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Prescription Costs

wassaaaaaaaaaap

Oakley Expert
Honolulu
Ok so I have bought hundreds of Oakley sunglasses from various sources but I have never bought a prescription pair. i have a friend who wants to buy a pair of racing jackets with prescription lenses. naturally he came to me being the Oakley junkie I am and I have no idea how much it would cost. Can you guys tell me? I'm wondering how much both polarized and non polarized would cost. Thanks for the help!

Ok so I have bought hundreds of Oakley sunglasses from various sources but I have never bought a prescription pair. i have a friend who wants to buy a pair of racing jackets with prescription lenses. naturally he came to me being the Oakley junkie I am and I have no idea how much it would cost. Can you guys tell me? I'm wondering how much both polarized and non polarized would cost. Thanks for the help!

Hey Howzit. Oakley RX is kinda rip off. I bought a pair of Fast Jackets and they charged me full retail for the frames alone. Yup, $220 just for the frames. I thought I could buy a new pair of shades and just give them the brand new frames but nope. The frames have to be bought through Oakley. Even Lenscrafters told me the same thing. Maybe it's because I wanted the Oakley Black Iridium Transitions lenses and if I had a local make the Transitions it might have been different. I still haven't paid for them yet even though they were made for me back in July but they told me my out of pocket costs would be almost $400 after VSP pays their part.

Also, my eyes aren't that bad but they couldn't cut the lenses to my regular prescription and my optometrist had to change it. Something about the curvature of the lens.

I saw a guy at the Pearlridge Sears with a pair of RX Gascans and it looked like crap. The lens was sticking out of the frame from the front. Not sure if it was a Oakley RX job or a local one but it looked weird. Even my Fasts are thick and the lens isn't cut the same as the sunglass ones especially close to the switchlock. They extended the plastic downwards under the switchlock. I guess since the lens is so thick they wanted to have the extra material for reinforcement. At first I thought I got ripped since it didn't look that great but there is a engraved O on one lens.

I only bought them so I could have a backup lens in case I break my contacts and for that they serve their purpose.

I have a pair of RX tumbleweeds and I love them. I only need them to read, so they are super light..... I will say that I work with a guy who HAS to wear RX frames all the time. He bought a pair of Flak Jackets from Oakley and had them do his RX lenses in them. Every time I see him it looks like he is either wearing safety glasses, or headed to the firearms range. It just doesn't look right... And Split Jacket frames IMO would look out of place..... It just doesn't look right when those frame styles have RX..... Maybe 2 pairs??? One for outside? Splits with dark RX lenses, and wires with RX for everything else???

I paid 324 at Lenscrafters for polarized gold iridium juliet lenses (added in the extended warranty as well so that jumped the cost a bit). Company pays into our HSA, and I'm way above the deductible, so I figured why not. They put them into a used frame I bought on Ebay for 85. It takes a while for them to send them out to Oakley to have them cut (1-2 weeks or so). There is also a maximum prescription for wrap sunglasses (depends on the frame style). If I remember correctly the juliet were -4 total power for both lenses.

The Oakley cut lenses also have a little logo etched into the bottom of each.

I got rx BI lenses in my used Juliets for 225 at LensCrafters. Thats the base price for sunglass lenses, so make sure they don't add services like "mirroring" which iridium already has. I also got the insurance, so the total was 275

Back