• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Prizm lenses for pickleball?

doubled619

Oakley Beginner
I have a couple pairs of Flak 2.0 XL frames, and I'm looking at ordering some Rx lenses for pickleball (outdoor) and basketball (indoor). I've settled on clear lenses for indoor, but I can't decide on which color Prizm lenses to get for outdoor pickleball.

All the reading I've done suggests, Trail Torch, Field, or Dark Golf. I'm also looking at the Ruby. Any other pickleball players out there have any recommendations? I'm in AZ so it does get pretty bright out if that helps.

I don't know if these come in prizm yet, good luck with your search though!

old.jpg

I have a couple pairs of Flak 2.0 XL frames, and I'm looking at ordering some Rx lenses for pickleball (outdoor) and basketball (indoor). I've settled on clear lenses for indoor, but I can't decide on which color Prizm lenses to get for outdoor pickleball.

All the reading I've done suggests, Trail Torch, Field, or Dark Golf. I'm also looking at the Ruby. Any other pickleball players out there have any recommendations? I'm in AZ so it does get pretty bright out if that helps.
Did you ever get more information on this? The online research tends to always default to a couple of threads, like a Reddit thread that suggests the two colors you mentioned. I've used Dark Golf and it seems to be plenty dark for me during normal days (not on lobs in the sun, but anything that works well there would be bad for the rest of the game). I'm wondering if moving to Trail Torch might be even better and buy me a little more time in the evening as the sun starts to drop.

Edit: I don't particularly notice these lenses enhancing the ball in any way. I believe that's what they are supposed to do, but the ball certainly stands out more without sunglasses than with, in my opinion.

For your outdoor pickleball needs in the bright Arizona sun, I recommend the Oakley Prizm Trail Torch or Prizm Ruby lenses. The Prizm Trail Torch enhances contrast and helps highlight the trail and obstacles on natural trails. The Prizm Ruby also enhances contrast, but has a more general application. , which can be useful for pickleball. Both lenses will help you see clearly and play comfortably in different lighting conditions.
Thanks for the input. I ended up purchasing Dark Golf at the recommendation from the Oakley store staff. They said if I want bright summer protection, then Prism Field was the way to go at 15%, if I wanted protection on overcast days the Prism Golf at 30% was the way to go, and for something in between the two I should go with Prism Dark Golf at 22%.

It looks like Trail Torch is 35%, which would be great for that time period as the sun is setting on the horizon but you don't want to remove your shades as much. The salesperson did not mention Ruby or Trail Torch as shades people getting sunglasses for pickleball and tennis were purchasing.

Back