• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Prizm Road Black or Prizm Black?

23109VC

Oakley Beginner
Hey everyone! So I am about to order a prescription Oakley sunglasses and I’m on the fence as to which lenses I should get. The last pair of Oakley is I was running were 00 black iridium polarized. I loved them - They had a very slight red tent when you looked at them from the back but from the front they mostly look like dark sunglasses they work great for daily use and we’re also excellent for road cycling which I do often.

Oakley no longer makes that lens and the two closest things that I can find currently would either be Prizm Road black or prizm black. If I want polarized lenses I have to get the every day Prizm black As the Prizm road is a non polarized lens.

my last lenses were not prism but I was told the nature of the double low black iridium lens was similar to the effect of the current prizm lenses in that it makes everything pop...

i’m going to be using these sunglasses in quarter jacket frames (I have a small face) I will use them most of the time for around town and driving in the car and being outside but I do ride my road bike two or three times a week and I’ll be using the sunglasses on rides. When I bought my last pair of prescription sunglasses a few years ago the only option for a road prism lens was the standard prism road and it was just too red looking for my taste - I wanted something I could wear daily and I didn’t like the look of the reddish lands for daily wear so I passed on them.

the new prism Road black would look more like something I can wear as a daily wear sunglasses And use on the bike - so I’m thinking about going with those however my last pair were polarized and I’m wondering if there’s a chance I will miss the polarization during daily wear or cycling.

I don’t live too far from an Oakley store I’m going to hit them up and try out both of these lenses in person but I was just curious what any of you had as far as input or thoughts or suggestions for what would be ideal for a daily wear a pair of sunglasses are also function as a great sport lens for road cycling.
Prizm Rosd Black or Prizm Black Polarized?

Maybe I don’t really need polarized lenses for my daily use?

Have any of you switched from a polarized lens to a non-polarized lens and did it make a difference in date today were and did you really notice a difference or not?

If Prizm daily is available for your frames it's a great lens that feels pretty close to the OO blacks you used to like.

Polarized lenses are great for driving and when on water. Otherwise normal lenses are great.

There is also a prizm black that is not polorized. Just so your aware when looking at buying so you don’t accidentally get wrong one

So today I stopped in to the local Oakley factory store which fortunately is about five minutes from where I work I was able to go in and try on a pair of prism Road black as well as Prism black polarized to go back-and-forth and see if I really wanted a polarized lens and what were my thoughts.

I guess I’d have to say honestly I like them both and if I could afford two pairs of prescription sunglasses I’d be tempted to get each but I’ve got to pick one! I like them both in different ways I kind of liked the way Prizm black lenses looked the prism road black when you’re holding it in your hand and light passes to the lens almost has a purple appearance to it instead of black but because it has a mirrored black surface when you put it up to your face it looks black from the outside

I have to say the prism Road black being a rose tinted lens seemed like it made things Pop more when I looked at the asphalt and concrete it was weird I noticed the surface much more and things like the tire track marks left on the road almost turned invisible whereas when I wore prism black I picked up more of just a discoloration’s in the concrete but less of the texture. Popped more when I looked at the asphalt and concrete it was weird I noticed the surface much more and things like the tire track marks left on the road almost turned invisible whereas when I wore prism black I picked up more of just the discoloration’s in the concrete but less of the texture. It was weird putting them on back-and-forth there were some spots in the parking lot or someone had done what looked like donuts and left distinct black tire tread along the less black asphalt and with the prism road black lens those tire markings disappeared or were essentially really hard to see but with the other lens prism black you picked up all the little discoloration to the concrete.It was weird putting them on back-and-forth there were some spots in the parking lot or someone had done what looked like donuts and left distinct black tire tread along the less black asphalt and with the prism Road black lens those tire markings disappeared or were essentially really hard to see but with the other lens prism black you picked up all the little discoloration at the concrete

as far as polarization goes I tried to stare at something that had a lot of glare and it’s night and day difference and the polarization takes that stuff away but I’d have to say I don’t think it’s a dealbreaker for me if I happen to be in a really glared environment I wanted but it didn’t bother me I could live without it

I also tried on a pair of prism daily it was the regular one with more of a dark or black finish to it and I felt it was very similar to the prism black only lighter it did not to meet make the colors pop nearly as much as prism Road black

I’m gonna have to sleep on it and decide which pair I’m going to order

I’m leaning toward prism Road black

Road texture is important when you’re riding on it, and you know how vulnerable you are out there.
Donut tracks aren’t slippery, and won’t force you off your line.
You’re leading me towards Prizm Road Black...

Road texture is important when you’re riding on it, and you know how vulnerable you are out there.
Donut tracks aren’t slippery, and won’t force you off your line.
You’re leading me towards Prizm Road Black...

Ordered my glasses. Prizm road black! Once I get them in a few weeks I will post an update.Once I get them in a few weeks I will post an update

Big thanks to Chris Hardaway/ RJ Smart For his help in making the decision. I went through him to buy my last pair several years ago and did not hesitate to give him my business again!

I can only further agree with what many others have said, prism lenses are pretty fantastic, I, sure you will love them.

Back