• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Reminiscing on What Started My Oakley Journey

trippledigitss

I should Work at Oakley
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Ahhh yes - I dont know if this is the right place for this.... But my renewed interest and frantic recent purchases had me thinking about what started me down this road in the first place.

It was sometime in '86 or '87 and I was a just a youngster all about 18yrs old. Oakley Blades and Razor Blades were the hottest glasses on the planet - IMHO - I wanted a pair so badly!

I ended up buying my first pair of Blades from a buddy who had kyped them off the table at a party. (hey, I was young, unscrupulous child, I didnt know better - or more like - didnt care. Yes, we'd all probably go back and kick our own ass at some point right?)

Anyway - it didnt take long for Karma to take a big bite out of both cheeks: Not even a week later and I was riding my Yamaha Seca 750 across the West Seatle Bridge. This highway has no shoulders, just two lanes in each direction bordered by jersey barriers.

This was back before the days of helmet laws and I heard something behind me and turned to look over my shoulders..... Needless to say, Mother Nature reached out with her windy fingers and evened the score in the blink of an eye. They were ripped off my face and went directly under the front right wheel of the car behind me. After that I can only imagine what was left.

But I was still hooked and shortly after - I went out and bought a shiny new pair of Razor Blades with Iridium lenses. At that point I thought I was the coolest thing on the planet! (looking back on old photos and I'm not so sure that was the case!) Been hooked on Oakley ever since!

Haha - right on thanks! Before I posted it I was wondering if anyone would really even care to hear it!

Also made me think about this little POS yellow Subaru wagon I had around the same time. I had a huge vinyl sticker on the rear window with a big O and said 'Oakley - Thermonuclear Protection" One day I pulled into the mini-mart and there were these two 35-40yr old hicks sitting on the tailgate of their pickup drinking beer. One of them says (read this in your best hick accent) Hey mannn, what is AWKLEY Thermonuclear??? When I told it him it was high-end glasses he asked "WUT?? Do they protect you form nuclear war or sumthin?"

For some reason that has stuck with me for years and I still get a chuckle out of it!

Ha ha great story not sure if I’m older than u but in the 80s I was in high school and I bought cheap neon colored sunglasses, then Ferrari folding sunglasses came out, I could only afford the knock offs then-glacier glasses. I believe when Oakley started coming on the scene they were expensive for a teen to afford. I bought some bolle blades since they were cheaper and I didn’t like frog skins at all back then and now. Lol I bought my first pair of zeros and that started my journey.

Great story. I started with a pair of crystal black / violet frog skins when I was 17, back in 1990. Through the years always wore Oakley sunglasses exclusively but only had 1 or 2 pairs, until i found this forum, trying to replace a lost pair of Monster Pups (Brown Sugar / Gold), in 2012. After discovering this forum I started collecting. At its peak my collection had 64 pairs of glasses, a Time Bomb 1, a double wide case, a ton of apparel and numerous smalls and accessories. I am kind of staring over recently but I will always be a collector.

I always liked the brand, but not like some here. Then I was searching for a pair of Pit Boss trying to authenticate when a link brought me here. I figured WTH and signed up.......I have a couple more pairs now then the 6 I had .

Cool story OP.....my brother passed me down a pair of Oakley Frogskins when I was little. Then I bought a pair of NSJ's when I was 18 and a pair of Splice in 2002. Those held me for a while lol.

Latest Posts

Back