• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Rumor: New X-Metal

Will you acquire the new release if it exists?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The title of the movie "Gattaca" was a play on DNA sequencing. DNA is made of four bases: Guanine, Adenine, Cytosine, and Thymine. When sequenced and abbreviated, you get a long string of GACTs in random order, eventually can spell gattaca.

Sorry, just a little spout from my Fount Of Useless Knowledge...

If that has any relevance to the new Oakley line, it'll be cool to see what it is (or maybe it'll really suck)...

I thought the Battlestar Galactica reboot series kicked ass, though it got a bit corny near the end. Loved the original as a kid, but that one was corny from the beginning.

Loved Chappel's Show too, wish he didn't freak out and kill it after two seasons. Classic...

If a new X metal line does get released by Oakley, I do hope that they'll find some other better "3 point fit" mechanism to replace the current one which uses rubber gaskets in the nose bridge.
It is clearly an engineering flaw.
There is absolutely no way that a piece of rubber should be utilized as part of the cyclic load bearing structure. Even more so when said structure (rubber) degrades when exposed to the elements (when you wash, when its under the sun....)

That said........

I still love my Juliets.

If a new X metal line does get released by Oakley, I do hope that they'll find some other better "3 point fit" mechanism to replace the current one which uses rubber gaskets in the nose bridge.
It is clearly an engineering flaw.
There is absolutely no way that a piece of rubber should be utilized as part of the cyclic load bearing structure. Even more so when said structure (rubber) degrades when exposed to the elements (when you wash, when its under the sun....)

That said........

I still love my Juliets.
You'd rather they used titanium?

I wouldn't call it an engineering flaw. It worked as intended. It's a wear item.

You'd rather they used titanium?

I wouldn't call it an engineering flaw. It worked as intended. It's a wear item.

Im not a sunglass designer/engineer so I might not have the best suggestions.. Just thinking out loud
But im thinking perhaps instead of degradable rubber, a stainless steel/Nitinol miniaturized leaf spring mechanism may be used in the nose bridge area.

your thinking inside the box......make them thinner so they flex,you can flex the hell out of Ti before it snaps,i say Ti with carbon fiber arms...best of both worlds

Im not a sunglass designer/engineer so I might not have the best suggestions.. Just thinking out loud
But im thinking perhaps instead of degradable rubber, a stainless steel/Nitinol miniaturized leaf spring mechanism may be used in the nose bridge area.
Then we'd all be in the same position that Half-X and Penny owners are in when those arm hinges fail.

your thinking inside the box......make them thinner so they flex,you can flex the hell out of Ti before it snaps,i say Ti with carbon fiber arms...best of both worlds
That still puts a titanium piece in fatigue.

If you're designing a wear component you do it with cheap, readily made pieces.

You can re-fit the X Metals with various other materials from various sources. If you use a machined/cast/forged metal piece you severely limit serviceability and raise the cost of service substantially.

It's the same reason your service items on a car are straight threads with a gasket. You can make them out of taper seals, but service changes from replacing a $0.03 O-ring every time to needing to replacing a $10 fitting. You can keep 100 o rings on the shelf, but I doubt you'd buy one replacement fitting.

It's why your brake pads are $50 and the rotor is $200. Brake pads aren't made from the best material to create friction with the rotor, but they're made to wear faster so you replace a low-cost part more frequently rather than having to replace several high-dollar parts when catastrophic failure occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back