• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Rumor: New X-Metal

Will you acquire the new release if it exists?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing wanted to share is the madman, the lens are almost like mars, but there little smaller then mar lens. I tried seeing if mars lens fit in my madman and they didn't.

First and foremost I would like to thank @Zach St. Dark for meeting with me during this busy holiday season to allow me to drool over the pair of MadMan's he provided to me to examine.

I would be far fetched to call them the "New X-Metal". The Madman is in a class of its own. I will start with the crazy high nosebridge, it flexes up/down and forward/back. The nose bride is also part of the orbital and is held to the orbital with torx bolts that were anodized in black. The lenses were gold iridium polarized, and the etched logo followed the curve of the orbital nicely

The mixture of aluminum and what appears to be omatter was nicely done. The frame combo molds together and creates smooth transition lines from both materials.

The hinge area is spring operated and allows for clean opening/closing operation. The stem portion closest to the hinge is aluminum and bolts to another omatter part with a torx bolt. The omatter extends about and 1-1/2-2" back to where the closed end type of earsock starts. The earsock and omatter part blend together and appear to be one piece from a distance.

Under the earsock is a ridged piece of flat metal that is notched to keep the earsock on. IMHO the metal under the earsock is molded I to the omatter but does not continue all the way through. The omatter flexes much more then the metal which kinda proves this.

The frame is super light weight and can be placed straight on the face versus the slid over the head placement we do with Juliet's and such.

It had great coverage and was quite comfortable. The MadMan is a combination of extreme engineering.

Please remember that the X Metal frames were cutting edge design and will always be the pinnacle of Oakley design. The Madman to me is "Hybrid Havok" geometry and to me is a different level.

Final note: I will be getting these when they are released.

First and foremost I would like to thank @Zach St. Dark for meeting with me during this busy holiday season to allow me to drool over the pair of MadMan's he provided to me to examine.

I would be far fetched to call them the "New X-Metal". The Madman is in a class of its own. I will start with the crazy high nosebridge, it flexes up/down and forward/back. The nose bride is also part of the orbital and is held to the orbital with torx bolts that were anodized in black. The lenses were gold iridium polarized, and the etched logo followed the curve of the orbital nicely

The mixture of aluminum and what appears to be omatter was nicely done. The frame combo molds together and creates smooth transition lines from both materials.

The hinge area is spring operated and allows for clean opening/closing operation. The stem portion closest to the hinge is aluminum and bolts to another omatter part with a torx bolt. The omatter extends about and 1-1/2-2" back to where the closed end type of earsock starts. The earsock and omatter part blend together and appear to be one piece from a distance.

Under the earsock is a ridged piece of flat metal that is notched to keep the earsock on. IMHO the metal under the earsock is molded I to the omatter but does not continue all the way through. The omatter flexes much more then the metal which kinda proves this.

The frame is super light weight and can be placed straight on the face versus the slid over the head placement we do with Juliet's and such.

It had great coverage and was quite comfortable. The MadMan is a combination of extreme engineering.

Please remember that the X Metal frames were cutting edge design and will always be the pinnacle of Oakley design. The Madman to me is "Hybrid Havok" geometry and to me is a different level.

Nice review/preview

Thanks

Any guess if the Torx thread directly into the o-matter or if the o-matter has some embedded metal receiving threads?

Any guess if the Torx thread directly into the o-matter or if the o-matter has some embedded metal receiving threads?

I thought about that but I could not tell at all IMO I would say a threaded metal insert would extend the life of the frame versus a threaded omatter part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back