• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

School me on Juliet's

x-metal is a coating finish , polished is the raw alloy ... well...polished.

The juliet is made of a titanium alloy that contains 25 seperate parts, takes 3 weeks to make, and is handled by 75 pairs of hands from production to finish. Flex couplers and temple shocks, like human joints, allow the rigid titanium frame to move under stress and for fitment for a variety of facial structures. The finishes are polished, carbon, plasma, and X-Metal which is the material in it's raw, unfinished form.

x-metal is a coating finish , polished is the raw alloy ... well...polished.

Really dude? Try polishing an x-metal juliet, and see what happens. You dont get a polished juliet by polishing an unfinished one. The polished finish is a covering that is put over the raw x metal and then polished. When x metal is polished, it still looks dull no matter how hard you try. Believe me, ive tried it.

Ok then try taking a piece of sandpaper and rubbing back a pair of x -metal finished shades,if you are right the colour should not change, I can assure you it will though,

Really dude? Try polishing an x-metal juliet, and see what happens. You dont get a polished juliet by polishing an unfinished one. The polished finish is a covering that is put over the raw x metal and then polished. When x metal is polished, it still looks dull no matter how hard you try. Believe me, ive tried it.

Ok then try taking a piece of sandpaper and rubbing back a pair of x -metal finished shades,if you are right the colour should not change, I can assure you it will though,

Not exactly. Xmetal is a media blasted finish. It's just raw titanium, but the bead blast makes light reflect in a way that gives you the xmetal color. Both polished and xmetal are raw titanium.

Think like sanded/fogged acrylic. Looks different, still acrylic.

Thanks QT for the explanation,I had no idea that blasting metal could leave a coloured finish,I assume carbon is a coating,what about plasma?

Not exactly. Xmetal is a media blasted finish. It's just raw titanium, but the bead blast makes light reflect in a way that gives you the xmetal color. Both polished and xmetal are raw titanium.

Think like sanded/fogged acrylic. Looks different, still acrylic.

I assume hes counting the ears they hang off

What am I missing? I have 5 frame parts, 2 ear socks, 2 temple shocks, 2 orbital gaskets, 2 nose bombs, 2 nose bridge rubbers, 2 rivets, 2 lenses, 8 washers and 4 screws.

Back