1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Herbsley

Herbsley Royal Duke of Hijinx

As I have mentioned in another couple of threads, I have recently sold a few pairs from my collection - most notably, my FMJ/Ice OTTs, my M-Frames, and my Why 8.0s (Polished/Ti-Clear). This freed up some cash for me to buy other Os.

So I've bought some Oil Drum 1 (Black/Amber-Black-Iridium) and Holbrook (Clear/Chrome) for me, and some Dangerous and Miss Conduct for Mrs H.

(Side Note - Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the Womens range is getting much more frequent - and more different - designs released than the Mens range these days?)

Anyway, I've got money left that I want to spend on another pair for me (hey, they were my glasses that I sold!).
    And you know what? I never thought I would hear myself say this - and it is a real shame - but there is nothing that is screaming out BUY ME at the moment.

I was quite excited when the Pit Bull was announced, being a cross between the MD and the Hijinx (two of my favourite designs), but then the colourways were announced and they are just so uninspiring to me. Eh? - yet another pair of black O-Matter for the collection? Meh.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I am a collector who wears his collection - I'm not a display case dude - but I am finding myself getting a bit peeved that Oakley haven't released a truly inspiring "out there" MENS sunglass design for ages that I reeeeaaally want to buy. I have money right now, set aside to give to Oakley, but it looks like I'm gunna have to buy another pair of Juliets or something (no bad thing I suppose! haha) - cos I feel that both myself and Oakley are stuck in a rut.

Has anyone else ever felt this way?
    And what did you do about it?

Cheers,
    H

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. stevan5150

stevan5150 Oakley Enthusiast

I totally feel exactly the same way. Every time I stop at a sunglasses hut or an Oakley vault I just get annoyed that every thing in the
    Case looks exactly same and they all seem to be black and boring. Nothing looks inspired

3. the piper

the piper Oakley Collector

I actually prefer black and brown but do agree the styles have been lacking and with finances thrown in I am semi retired...I think everything should be in black brown in 1 frame and crazy colors for those who want them...plus if u have an even remotely smaller face the new styles aren't the best fit...since 07 the Fives 4.0 are the only new post Lux frame I own

4. ucdavis4PT0gpa

ucdavis4PT0gpa THE BEST IS YET TO COME

100% agree with you. I've been filling out my collection the last year.....but when I look at it, its "vintage" pieces-XX 24K, Juliet Polished Fire, Pit Boss TRON (which I specifically got because it has more "kick" to it). The only newer model I actually felt compelled to buy (and I bought two) was the Batwolf. I felt the fit on me was perfect and I thought the design really was special-but even then the only colorway they released that really jumped was the Clear Ice- I had to go build a Ruby set myself.

But the collecting is going to stall here soon if Oakley doesn't get its creative streak back. The only pair of glasses I have my eye out for is the White Chrome/Positive Red Straight Jacket-then, that's it. Now, are there alot of collectors that LIKE what the company is doing these days? Of course-there are a number of them on this forum. But I am not one of them. I'm a pre-Lux guy (in fact when I think about it, the Batwolf is the only model I own that was designed POST Lux purchase). I think that says something and while I hesitate to say it again lest it sound like griping, the company lost its creative vision when Jim Jannard sold and was no longer the company's driving force.

I have heard from a number of people that the company is coming out with some "crazy" stuff soon but I'll believe that when I see it.

5. the piper

the piper Oakley Collector

I have heard that for months I have also heard my hard cases backordered since June were 3-5 days from shipping for 8 weeks...If they can't prepare for supply/demand at least by next summer...I am not sure how that will work I can't afford/dont buy artist series or larger frames... soThe SJ2/Minute 2 were the last things I got when they came out...I have the +Red/Polished Black and with Matte Black as well in SJ...great combo...I saw the white ones everywhere but now have disappeared...If I come across them i'll pm u...r u looking for retail or less on those?

6. Kaduku

Kaduku Oakley Beginner

I know how you feel, I sold a lot of my old stuff that I don't use anymore and I have money to get some pairs but nothing is really screaming to me right now. I got a pair of Fast Jackets the other day for sports and they look cool but as for a casual pair I'm kinda laying low. I did think about some Frogs I saw at the store or the Guam collaboration Flak Jacket a local place carries here but nothing really reaches out. On the flip side if Oakley comes out with something new and we hold the money we'll be prepared :p

7. ucdavis4PT0gpa

ucdavis4PT0gpa THE BEST IS YET TO COME

Thank you sir! Less than retail and new or truly like new. I actually bought a new pair of these 4 years ago for $105 when they came out and there was a glut but I didn't like them at the time (i know...duh).

8. Herbsley

Herbsley Royal Duke of Hijinx

What I've found post-Lux is that there seems to be a lot of doubling up on use of lens and frame design. So they make a lens shape for, say, the Crosshair - but you think that shape looks familiar in the Plaintiff or in a womens design with prettier ear-stems etc. Or you could argue that the Oil Rig is a single shield Oil Drum, and the Batwolf is a single shield Fuel Cell. All nice glasses in their own right, don't get me wrong, but I'd just love to see more new ideas instead of re-treads of old ones.
    The last pair of NEW design glasses I think I bought were the Scalpel - but, again, a limited choice of colourways, so it is yet another black/black pair in my collection.
    Come on Oakley - lets have a full-on new design to get excited about. Everyone on here will be ready to buy it!

9. Oakley_Sight

Oakley_Sight Gotta love a good DOG

Herbsley try customising. I did this with a pair of jawbone when Oakley Europe had the problem with pricing the other week, team blue frame, white jaw & socks, pearl bolt, gold icons. Perfect for an Everton supporter too. Look at the Jawbone or Split Jacket? Also the Jury are nice. Regarding the Pit Bull the only ones i would have are the FMJ's. Most of my collection are the older models ie Monster Dog's, Splice, Fat Cat. I still think Oakley SHOULD do a Splice 2 as these were & still are a superb glass.

10. jonoyong

jonoyong Inside Outlaw. Staff Member Premium Member

i agree with Oakley_Sight. i hit a certain plateau a while back as well, and a few fellow O-fanatics got me into DIY customizing. and i must say, it was indeed a blast. kept me going til i found some other stuff that i looked forward to buy off the shelf. =)