• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

"The One That Got Away" Thread

pistolpetefan23

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
I apologize if there is something like this already, but I thought it would be fun to share some close calls on cool stuff that you either just missed out on, had deal fall through, seller flaked, etc., causing you to miss something you really wanted or were getting a heckuva deal on.

This could be a running thread of our Oakley collector heartaches to share in group therapy :)

I'll start with a couple.

-- A BNIB POW/MIA Fuel Cell, which is #1 on my wish list, on the Bay that went for only $64 a couple months ago. I watched it and didn't pull the trigger cuz I'd just bought a few other things. Two weeks later another BNIB pair goes for $150. Been kicking myself over this one for a while.

-- Hoping this ends up as a good story, but not confident it will. A classic "Oakley sunglasses" listing on the Bay ends up being a BNIB King's Woodland Camo Flak Jacket. I won it for $63 and paid right away. This was two weeks ago. Got no communication for several days so contacted seller, who said he was out of town and would be sending in a couple days. Couple days pass, nothing. Contact again and he doesn't respond but marks item as shipped. Week later and nothing, so today opened a case. Other bad part is that in anticipation of getting these, I sold a pair of Pit Bulls I was going to do a camo hydroprint on plus sold a single Woodland Camo bag that is extremely hard to come by.

Soon after getting my first pair of New Frogs I came across some more and avoided them. Then I got another for a steal and the collecting bug was on. Now I stand 3 pairs shy and I'm kicking myself having passed on 2 of the 3 for a good price before I was serious on completing the collection.

During mad science era, 2005 when i moved to the U.S.A. I saw everything that I liked available for purchase on the O website.

Naming a few:
Splice
Plates
X metals
Medusa
Die cast car

I got complacent thinking it was a forever production.

If I could turn back time, I would buy them. I can care less about getting back with ex girlfriends at that point.

Complacency kills.

Addition: IH Juliet thru SI website back then. Argh.

Last edited:
With me working away from home, I regularly miss out on some prize pieces that show up on our local Gumtree (similar to Craigs List), but these usually end up going to a good home with a fellow South Africa collector.

The one pair that I'm still peeved at passing up on was a BNIB Ducatti Pit Boss that was in a store in Singapore on sale for S$750 (+/-US$590) at the start of 2013.

marc told me about a romeo1 being offered as BIN in ebay.uk.. it was offered for 400 including an xmetal vault... I was outside that time and was just checking it through my fone... was about to press the BIN when my fone went dead... drove like crazy to get home but it was already sold....

Back