• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The X-MAN Customs Corner

engineers are a screwy lot,they don't think about things like maintenance when they design things.ive been working with them for 30 years,and they only think about the now.its not just the arms...the rivits are on a funky angle and the diameter seems to be smaller,so I have to hand ream out the existing holes and hope the rivits seats straight or it will push in the wrong location and ding the nose.
It's called job security. I'd love to give a shot at a fix, but I don't have enough time to do my design work for my job, let alone side projects.

So the penny uses a unique rivet/pin?

It's called job security. I'd love to give a shot at a fix, but I don't have enough time to do my design work for my job, let alone side projects.

So the penny uses a unique rivet/pin?

They have a spring hinge which from what I understand is a huge pain to reassemble

I found a way to install the arms with 1 hand now,by using a .040" drill rod,but it really is a pain.i put the pin into a block of wood,then you can push the hinges togeather and push the tapered pin thru , then the screw will push the pin out and your done,but there is something else with the nosebridge too.the rivits are at a different angle than the xx and juliets and makes driving the rivits back in a real bitch......not an enjoyable process.
there is a much easier way to put them together without anything but the screw. I was intimidated at fist due to all the horror stories, that is until I just did it. But yes, penny is a whole different beast, and can be a bitch if you aren't careful.

hey guys ,
I just got in "gloss black" super shiny like carbon...anyone wanna give it a whirl???

I am interested! I will go through my frames and see if there are any ugly ones are left. You might have done them all. Any pics of one done? Might send it with a Ti02 that needs a tune up.

never painted frames with the gloss yet,i did some flat sheets of steel,but that's it.i think it will be a nice addition.

Back