• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Theory On Romeo 1 Lenses Cracking

Razerwire

And then there was X...
Falls Church, VA
Actually, it may be more common knowledge than theory.

After owning two pairs of R1s, I believe the thinner the shocks you use, the less chance you will have the lenses cracking on them.

When I bought the Jordan R1 off CL, the previous owner had 50 shocks in them. That made the ear stems angle very hard towards each other at the tips. If you don't put them on and off like you would with a pair of goggles, then you can very easily crack the lenses.

Since I have a rather huge melon, I put 15 shocks in them and therefore the angle on the ear stems are almost straight so the tips are more parallel to each other rather than angling towards each other. This leaves a much wider berth at the tips so you can put the frame on like a regular pair of glasses with far less stress put onto the lenses.

Granted this only works if you have a huge noggin and need to use 15 shocks. If you have a smaller sized head and need 50 shocks, then you definitely need to put them on and take them off like a pair of goggles. I also tried them on without any shocks at all and they more than easily cleared the width of my head while putting them on like a regular pair of glasses. Sans shocks is definitely not advisable though.

To be safe, if you don't want any risk of cracking the lenses even if you are using 15 shocks, the goggle method is still a safer bet. But yeah, basically the idea is that the thinner shocks you use, the less chance you have of cracking the lenses.

yea...

but why do they crack?

Looking at these, its an interesting thought to think that if they moved the hing point back further toward the top of the orbital, if that would have solved the issue completely. I think that would have greatly reduced or eliminated the stress on the edge lens.

Another interesting thought, Why didn't they discover this issue before they were even released? Surely they tested them multiple times as it was their first x-metal

They crack because the flex causes the pointy part of the top of the nose bridge to press into the lens. The flex basically comes from what little give the top two screws allow between the orbital and the nose piece.

Well I wore mine twice and cracked the lenses and I put them on with the upmost care.. I didnt think my melon was all that wide but most Oakleys are a tight fit. I have 15 shocks in them as well.

I really feel that putting them on like goggles will keep you from having them crack

Well I wore mine twice and cracked the lenses and I put them on with the upmost care.. I didnt think my melon was all that wide but most Oakleys are a tight fit. I have 15 shocks in them as well.
Putting them on like they're goggles is definitely the safest way to keep the lenses from cracking. What I'm saying is that the thicker the shocks are that you use, the greater it contributes to adding stress to the lenses where the screw areas are.

I've been taking them on and off like a regular pair of glasses on my everyday wear R1s to see how much stress the lenses can take and so far I think the fact that I'm using 15 shocks makes it a less stressful on the lenses. Granted it may just be luck of the draw but I figured with the thinner shocks, there's a much wider berth between the tips of the ear stems which makes it more capable of being taken on and off like a regular pair of glasses instead of the goggle technique.

So basically, if you need to use thick shocks, your only option is to take them on and off with the goggle technique. Since the frame has a wide front, those with smaller heads need the wider shocks to have them taper sharply inwards in the back to keep the frame secure on the head. Those with wider heads are able to use thin shocks and may be able to take them on and off like regular glasses since the tapering in the back at the tips of the ear stems is far less drastic.

Putting them on like they're goggles is definitely the safest way to keep the lenses from cracking. What I'm saying is that the thicker the shocks are that you use, the greater it contributes to adding stress to the lenses where the screw areas are.

I've been taking them on and off like a regular pair of glasses on my everyday wear R1s to see how much stress the lenses can take and so far I think the fact that I'm using 15 shocks makes it a less stressful on the lenses. Granted it may just be luck of the draw but I figured with the thinner shocks, there's a much wider berth between the tips of the ear stems which makes it more capable of being taken on and off like a regular pair of glasses instead of the goggle technique.

So basically, if you need to use thick shocks, your only option is to take them on and off with the goggle technique. Since the frame has a wide front, those with smaller heads need the wider shocks to have them taper sharply inwards in the back to keep the frame secure on the head. Those with wider heads are able to use thin shocks and may be able to take them on and off like regular glasses since the tapering in the back at the tips of the ear stems is far less drastic.

I have also been monitoring the way I use my R1s. Three months back I changed to the 15 shocks, and installed gaskets and the visionary lenses. The Lenses seem to be smaller in both thickness and circumference. I wear them a few days a week and put them on and take them off both ways. So far, no cracks.

its the pointy bits of the frame pressing intot he lens when the frame flexes- you have a hi pressure stress spot. that starts the crack, then over time the flexing will make those cracks extend from material fatigue. the less you flex the frame the less chance it will crack.

but cracking aside, the romeos are absolutely baller. dont shelve them... custom cut lenses and wear em guys! save the original etched lenses by all means, but that frame is bombproof! especially if you have the xmetal colorway!

;)

Back