• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Vintage Oakley Blades

I did see it, you're talking about the one being sold from Spain, right?

Since the weak point on the vintage ones is the frame it got me wondering: do vintage blade lenses fit on the "razor blade new" or the "collectors razor blade" re-releases?

Last edited:
I did see it, you're talking about the one being sold from Spain, right?

Since the weak point on the vintage ones is the frame it got me wondering: do vintage blade lenses fit on the "razor blade new" or the "collectors razor blade" re-releases?

That’s the one. I can’t answer that question. Sorry

Sent from nowhere special

I agree with what's been said about the originals being brittle. Taking the age into consideration at this point the originals are literally at their "breaking point". My white whale pair is something which I would love to wear. I have extra lenses for them and replacement triggers as well but I am horrified to try changing anything for fear that something may snap, and these I believe are the rarerest of the the rare when it comes to blades/razor blades. They are the orange framed pair with gray/grey triggers. It just kills me to just let them sit but just touching them makes me nervous because I don't see ever being able to replace them. I would definitely go with the recommendation of getting the re-release models. When those came out I stocked up but they didn't come in all the same colors as the originals. No orange, no blue. I ended up getting sea foam, black, and one other color which I can't come up with right now.

I agree with what's been said about the originals being brittle. Taking the age into consideration at this point the originals are literally at their "breaking point". My white whale pair is something which I would love to wear. I have extra lenses for them and replacement triggers as well but I am horrified to try changing anything for fear that something may snap, and these I believe are the rarerest of the the rare when it comes to blades/razor blades. They are the orange framed pair with gray/grey triggers. It just kills me to just let them sit but just touching them makes me nervous because I don't see ever being able to replace them. I would definitely go with the recommendation of getting the re-release models. When those came out I stocked up but they didn't come in all the same colors as the originals. No orange, no blue. I ended up getting sea foam, black, and one other color which I can't come up with right now.

Thanks for the feedback! Do you reckon that even a new old stock vintage frame+stems would be unwearable (too brittle)? Do you happen to know if I can put the vintage blade lenses (which should still be ok to wear I believe) on the re-release models?

Tough question to answer. I would think that the re-release versions (since they were released in relative terms technology-wise not that long ago, again, all things technology being relative) wouldn't be as brittle and more conducive to swapping. Although I have been in the oakley game a long time, I would never claim to make such a bold prediction as to whether or not lenses would be compatible because in my experience oakley often makes very subtle changes in the sizing and compatibility of such types of compatibility as far as fit. As an example, I had a pair of (x) type of golfing specs that were supposedly the same model type as another lens from another pair of frames released just a year later, and as it turned out, there was the tiniest gap in the lens and frame. I chalked it up to a possible manufacturing error or mistake but it turned out that they had just made the slightest change which wasn't even visible to the naked eye. I was (and still am) very disappointed because it causes the frame and lens to move just the slightest bit, which, when you are as OCD as I am makes for nightmares. Ok, I'm being a bit dramatic, but lets just say they don't fit perfectly and it bugs the ****e outta me because as I've stated many times before, I actually use my oaks for their intended purpose, for the most part. I have maybe only 2 or 3 pair that are actually my "museum" pieces. I'm more of a purpose driven oakley collector than a true historian, again, I'm old. The first pairs of oakleys I bought had "lifetime" warranties on them. You could snap them in front of the salesman at the original shop I bought my stuff from, and he had to send off for another pair. That's how lax they were in those days. I never took advantage of that other than sitting on a pair accidentally or having some bad luck on the mountain bike trail, otherwise looking back, I would have a ton of pairs of pristine vintage specs worth a ton of money on the market today.... 20/20 hindsight would be so useful nowadays. Hope I helped you somewhat........

I do believe they were. I may have bought a pair of them, I'll have to do some digging around to find the box though. I've moved a couple of times and have things scattered around in different places. But I'm almost positive about that, I think they were black frames with fire iridium lenses.

I do believe they were. I may have bought a pair of them, I'll have to do some digging around to find the box though. I've moved a couple of times and have things scattered around in different places. But I'm almost positive about that, I think they were black frames with fire iridium lenses.

Any luck finding them?

Back