• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Vintage Oakley Blades

I apologize for the late response but I'm sorry to say I was incorrect about the 30th anniversary Razor Blades. The black framed blades have orange writing on the triggers, not white.

Old thread, but doesn't appear anyone has ever answered this....

Of the 3 variants of the
Razor Blade that were made over the years, none of the lenses are compatible between generations each is slightly different with the particularly portion of the lens that clips into the frame. While the heritage frames (2010) do resemble the original Blades from (1986) closely, the re-release heritage model has a steeper pitch for the mounting hook as well as the section of the shoulder where it curves is elongated.

While the Stretchline (2005) Razor Blades utilize a Toric Lens that's primarily based on the M-Frame Strike lens, with the only significant difference being the Razor Blade lenses retain a single curvature on the top edge. Where as the M-Frame lenses dip in the center area, despite that slight dip a M-Frame lens can be mounted in a Stretchline RB without much issue.

INFO - Razor Blade Comparisons.png

Thanks for the feedback! Do you reckon that even a new old stock vintage frame+stems would be unwearable (too brittle)? Do you happen to know if I can put the vintage blade lenses (which should still be ok to wear I believe) on the re-release models?

Additionally the Original Razor Blade has a cylindrical lens (L/R curvature only) making for a flatter lens curve, where as the Stretchline Razor Blade utilizes a toric lens which allows the bridge to retain a tighter wrap shape. If you were to overlay the two frames on top of one another you'd notice the Original Razor Blade is flatter in comparison.

IMG_1675.JPG

EDIT: @cacatman I believe this could be helpful info I'd created breaking down differences between the razor blades, I figure you had a thread with various models evolution or somewhere this info might be more easily accessed via a list haha

Last edited:
Thank you for the information Boostbear,
I had thought of looking for a newer re-release frame for my original Blade lens, but now I know they're not interchangeable I won't bother.

At the risk of getting myself banned, are the fake Blades frames I sometimes see for sale compatible with original lenses? I know fakes are bad, but if its the only way to keep using my old Iridium lens...

Thanks for the feedback! Do you reckon that even a new old stock vintage frame+stems would be unwearable (too brittle)? Do you happen to know if I can put the vintage blade lenses (which should still be ok to wear I believe) on the re-release models?
I wear my ~1990 Blades occasionally for cycling, but with the knowledge that if they get over-stressed (e.g. entangled in a cycling helmet when taking it off) the arm tabs are going to crack or even break. They still hold together when cracked, but if the tab snaps off that's it (short of using Duck-tape).

I risk it because I've used them since they were new and want to keep using them. Saying that, I'm very careful with them nowadays.

Replacement arms are expensive if you can even find them, and can you be sure they will be undamaged? Lenses seem to be far easier to find than arms or (particularly) frames.

Personally I would not pay a lot of money for another pair of Blades unless I was a collector, they are really too fragile for active sports.
I have moved onto M-Frames (the 'new' ones, but not M2), they're infinitely more durable and spares are still available at reasonable prices.

Thank you for the information Boostbear,
I had thought of looking for a newer re-release frame for my original Blade lens, but now I know they're not interchangeable I won't bother.

At the risk of getting myself banned, are the fake Blades frames I sometimes see for sale compatible with original lenses? I know fakes are bad, but if its the only way to keep using my old Iridium lens...

I wear my ~1990 Blades occasionally for cycling, but with the knowledge that if they get over-stressed (e.g. entangled in a cycling helmet when taking it off) the arm tabs are going to crack or even break. They still hold together when cracked, but if the tab snaps off that's it (short of using Duck-tape).

I risk it because I've used them since they were new and want to keep using them. Saying that, I'm very careful with them nowadays.

Replacement arms are expensive if you can even find them, and can you be sure they will be undamaged? Lenses seem to be far easier to find than arms or (particularly) frames.

Personally I would not pay a lot of money for another pair of Blades unless I was a collector, they are really too fragile for active sports.
I have moved onto M-Frames (the 'new' ones, but not M2), they're infinitely more durable and spares are still available at reasonable prices.
I have no experience with fakes, but from what I've observed the fakes are duplicates of heritage model and made off to be clones of the OG RB. There's a ebay seller who has a listing for a $1500 Razor Blade warning about fakes; typically a orange/yellow pair or cover photo showing teal or black stem...You could shoot him a message asking about if the fakes are clones of the OG or Heritage, I imagine he has experience with them as the listing points out how to spot fakes (temples top fin that goes on hinge won't have a cut-out for the hinge pin as OEM have).

I personally haven't had a heritage model, but a friend who had a pair pointed out about the lenses not being compatible... Although they OG and Heritage use cylindrical lenses, so it might be possible to modify the OG RB lenses to fit a Heritage frame, but thats all speculation, you'd have to get your hands on a Heritage RB remove the lens and compare the two to see if it's possible.

However without having both in hand it's hard to tell, I'm not sure if there's a difference in physical width with the lenses... It might end up being like 1st Gen M-Frame vs New Gen M-Frames where the 1st gen are physically narrower so they can't be modified to fit the New Gen. M-Frame. I'd try an find a Heritage RB pair from an ebay seller that accepts returns, that way you could return them if you realize they absolutely won't work.

I do love the blades, but I've sold all but my cinnamon blades - but hardly ever wear them anymore, as it's a tip-toeing process of fear of breaking them while trying to enjoy them. I have a 2005 Razor Blade I find as decent compromise, gives me the wrap around temples I prefer of the OG RB but allows me to use the easily accessible M-Frame replacement lenses. Granted I can't personalize them like the OG with unique color combos, the ability to use any lens shape made for the M-Frame without an issue makes up for that. Speaking of which I intend to let go of my pink/black 2005 RB soon (same one shown in the comparison above) if thats something you'd be interest in let me know.

Back