• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What nice metal Oakley's....let me treat them like ****

ucdavis4PT0gpa

I should Work at Oakley
Oceanside, Oregon
Now don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy breaking down a Romeo frame and cleaning, putting it back together--bringing it back to life. But when I do it I never cease to be amazed by how these glasses are treated. Got my third frame today from Germany and broke them down to clean everything and get it ready for its new lenses....and this one had tons of sunblock residue in the nosepieces. And sand. And then there was sand in the orbital grooves BETWEEN the lenses and the orbitals. Parts fo the frame looked blackened....turns out it was just gunk. I know...once these were a dime a dozen when in production and "only" $275; I know the enthusiast crowd is a bit OCD. But still...really? SAND??

To some people, actually most, glasses are glasses. I had a pair of Oakleys some years ago (around $180 value) and I wore them at the beach EVERY day. They would get tossed onto the sand with my towel and shirt as I went for a swim. I even used to wear them INTO the water when I went beach kayaking! Eventually, that's how I lost them (one too many big waves).

Now that I actually "collect" Oakleys tho, I wouldn't treat them the same! But to the average person "they're just sunnies"

I might be unique in that EVERYTHING I own gets treated with the utmost care. Nothing is "just" something-not $500 sunglasses, not my car, not a $10 t shirt. If I spent money on it, it gets treated with respect all the way around unless its been specifically designed to be beat up or I've classified it for that purpose (and usually those items have been rotated to that because something else getting the "full respect" treatment as taken their place).

I use beater o matter frames for a lot of things, however my x metal are taken care of but I wear everything.

I wear everything too.
My Jordan mars are very limited wear though. They are not very far from my closet dehumidifier. I live in Louisiana humidity is 100% all the time. I don't want it killing my Jordan mars.

Sometimes life happens. I was racing in a criterium and it started pourting down rain. I was using a skinsuit with no pockets so what was I supposed to do with the Mars I was wearing? I frisbee'd them into the crowd at 20 mph.

Latest Posts

Back