• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What's the best discount %

The store I worked at gave 15% to police or serving military and we could give discount up to 10% IIRC if the person was willing to buy a case cleaning kit etc.Staff % was max 25% on eyewear up to 35 on clothing & shoes.

70% off on everything (eyewear, watches...) that was not going through the lab (then freeeeeee) and 50% on clothing/accessories.
I'm in the middle on my avatar pic :cool:

I work for Oakley...end of story :rolleyes:

And as for customers asking for discounts...since I work at a Vault I hear it ALL the time. Its usually annoying because its usually someone who is already buying a $10 T-Shirt or a $69 shades. But if someone is buying 2 or 3 pairs my store is usually willing to atleast talk to you. Basically it comes down to making the customer happy so that they will want to come back to our store. It also helps if the customer is being reasonable about asking for a discount and understands that when I say no there really is nothing more I can do.

+1 it pays to have people in your pocket.
Its no big secret what Retail markup is though.

I'm dying to know what the true markup is for retail priced Oakley Sunglasses, cuz I have no idea.
The only thing I do know for certain is that without any special hookups I have received %40 off during a F&F sale and I have heard some people may have got a %50 off during F&F.

I'm dying to know what the true markup is for retail priced Oakley Sunglasses, cuz I have no idea.
The only thing I do know for certain is that without any special hookups I have received %40 off during a F&F sale and I have heard some people may have got a %50 off during F&F.
Employees get 70 to 80% so that should easily tell you there's 10 to 30% markup

Dealers buy at 50 points. Most employees get 70% on most things. Managers get more. Some things theres no discounts, some is only %50. Ive never seen an employee get less than 50.
Most employees also get free schwag as theyre required to wear 5 pieces of flare while in the store. shirts, socks, **** like that.
Have I said too much? Even to all of that, theres floor cost and theres the cost the laywers and finance guys really know.

Judging by the cost of high quality knock offs selling for $15 a pair and STILL make a profit, i'd say most models only cost them $5 to make in materials. Then there's costs of running the business and brand goodwill added in. At the end of the day it's futile trying to argue why they're charging 10 times more than what it costs them to make... it's like back in the 90's when people debate about why CD's cost a bomb when the materials only cost a slim fraction of the price.

Judging by the cost of high quality knock offs selling for $15 a pair and STILL make a profit, i'd say most models only cost them $5 to make in materials. Then there's costs of running the business and brand goodwill added in. At the end of the day it's futile trying to argue why they're charging 10 times more than what it costs them to make... it's like back in the 90's when people debate about why CD's cost a bomb when the materials only cost a slim fraction of the price.

Im actually not interested in arguing why the pricing is what it is, I'm simply interested from a business standpoint what markup actually is.

In my novice understanding; this is what I know; and separately what I estimate;
a PB 2 Rootbeer retails for $600 (%100 retail)
I personally bought a PB2 from BackCountry.com for $240 total (%60 discount)
My guess is Oakley generates the product and covers minimums at %10, another words they look at a PB2 as costing them $60, even if it is only $6 in material
BackCountry buys the PB@ from Oakley in quantity along with commitment to buy other products in quantity as a authorized reseller at my guess would either $90 (15%)or possibly $120(20%) per unit PB2
in this case a PB2 via BackCountry.com at $240 would gross about %20 of its retail value for the reseller or $120, perhaps up to $150
Of course a PB2 Rootbeer isn't in high demand for whatever reason, most likely color combo popularity, so with other products resellers are hoping to discount as little as possible and make more gross revenue.
Like I mentioned I'm not looking to ask why is it so much, but rather what the numbers/percentages actually are...

With these guess-timate numbers I can easily see how employees and management could get %70-%80 off on a variety of products(not limited edition), direct from Oakley corporate
as that would leave %10 to %20 markup above the initial %10 cost to generate.

Thats my best guess, but a knowledgeable business person would certainly know better. If anyone has the time or interest to correct my guesses I'd be happy to be educated. I just find it interesting.

Back