• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Who Should Replace Shawn White as Oak-Lux's Main "Thing That Is On Everything"?

hahaha. holy crap that made me laugh so hard!

Whenever I see SW, I can only think of carrot top, and that guy is friggin' scary

enhanced-buzz-25225-1289337654-17.jpg

To be honest, I know about him from snowboarding, but I do think he's only got a certain level of 'status' in the younger generations.

carrot top looks waaay different now

Okay so Pastrana's name has popped up a few times... but how about another name in the ring.

Ken Block?

I've seen him compete at various X Games, has featured in a number of video games (Also endorsed by Oakley, such as the DiRT franchise). He's involved in god knows how many 'cool' sports, and I don't know much about his personality but he seems reasonably down to earth.

I'm not a Ken Block fan or anything (Although the guy really knows how to throw about his Fiesta) but he seems like the kind of Ambassador Oakley usually jump on.

Ken Block is only good at his gymkhana (or whatever it's spelled) stuff. In competition it's a different matter altogether and I don't think he's good enough to be endorsed by Oakley.

Not to mention that problems may arise from his own brand, apparel-wise.

I think they should focus on finding someone who's not American. While Oakley is a successful brand in the US, the visibility in Europe, for example, is very low (the nearest O-store for me is in the UK ffs). From what I could gather from my "how big is Oakley" thread, only a few people use or are O fanatics outside the US. Finding someone from another country would most certainly boost visibility outside the US and with time people and even we, the fanatics, would associate certain faces to the products more easily and more O-stores would open in countries they wouldn't exist in otherwise.

OK, all this talk and I tried to read most of this here but couldnt... so if i hit something already covered .... sorry...

Do you guys and gals know how many athletes Oakley already sponsors? Take a look here....

Action Sports Teams

Motor Sports Teams

Performance Sports Teams

The problem with all that is that from all of those athletes, I (and most likely the majority of people of this forum that isn't American) only know three: Alonso, Loeb and Armstrong. And I didn't even know that Loeb was sponsored by Oakley until now...

Ok, just remembered it's four because of Montoya, but the visibility that one currently has in the rest of the world is much lower now than it was some years ago, hence me almost forgetting him.

Here's my suggestions for replacements for SW.....Not in any particular order

Bart Simpson
Waldo
The Clown from Stephen King's "IT"
Bugs Bunny
Elmo
or any other fictional or non fictional character with or without a pulse!!!

The problem with all that is that from all of those athletes, I (and most likely the majority of people of this forum that isn't American) only know three: Alonso, Loeb and Armstrong. And I didn't even know that Loeb was sponsored by Oakley until now....

Loeb's signature Antix might have been a clue. :wink:

Actually there are a fair few athletes I recognise on there.

Which begs the question, with all those athletes, why is only one given such a HUGE push over the rest of them???

Back