• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metal Earstems- How To Perform Swaps

Good "How to", but my only concern would be glueing the washers. If you glue the washers they really are not washers anymore and there is probably a reason why they are washers in the first place. Could this lead to premature wear? Glueing would definitely make replacing the washers easier, but there must be a reason why Oakley put two washers for the top and bottom in the first place? Just a thought....

Hi guys, its me again, this time with a guaranteed-Sticky thread! Today I will tell you my way of getting X-metal arms on/off with little to no fuss!

I will add pictures later on =)

Firstly Lets do the big one - The earstems of the Romeo1, Mars, XX, Juliet - All these arms are interchangeable.

Step 1 - this isnt necessary...
There you go, all done! Enjoy your new X-Metal Customs!

Easiest way to do it. Just tried it out for myself and it was relatively pain free. Key word is relatively lol

Some tips:
- I used some precision tweezers that I picked up at Target. I was using my wife's, then she caught me. =P

- Don't drink caffeine before. I spent more time steadying my hands than actually working.

- Clean the gunk (if any) from the washers with a toothbrush or peel it off with the tweezers.

- Wood glue really is badass for this 'cause it's easy to clean up and peels off easily with no mess. HOWEVER, it dries quickly, so once you start, you'll have to work quickly. You want to work with it wet - the liquid tension is what keeps the pieces sitting snuggly together.

- If putting the glue on the frame and setting the washers on the frame don't work, try setting the washers on the stem. This worked for me on one stem where I had a HELL of a time with the washers on the frame moving.

Otherwise, super easy! Thanks BriP!

Hi, i just purchased a pair or romeo 2.0 and i need help on how to change the lenses. I checked on the web and i cant find any info. I dont want to mess up my frame so i hope i get help here. I see 2 tiny screws there, im not sure if they should be removed in order to remove the lenses.

Thanks for your help

Has anyone tried swapping the earstems from a Juliet onto an x squared? The earstems on the squared are too tight on my head, but Juliets fit like a glove. I have both, but don't want to do surgery if it definitely won't work.

i think im about to go insane trying to put my romeo earstems back on. Any reason the first post was edited?

What I did was use some sewing string, or preferably floss, and laced the washers onto it, slid the earstem into the frame and carefully pulled out the string and the washers stayed put so I could insert the screw and tighten. Worked amazingly:)