• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

XMC Optics Copper/Gold Plating Services Thread

Yes, I totally agree, these up besides the Penny OEM copper, make the Penny look dull and like someones effort was lacking. Kinda a pinkish no polish copper. Has its place, but yes this is the best. I bet if every member saw one in person, they immediately would have to have one in their collection, let alone wear all the time. @CarGuy, me, and several others have said the coppers are now their daily wearers and with the availability of new lens colors they really pop. I like them much better than Gold. Gold is too bling, but the copper although shiny and noticeable remains kinda subtle.

Simple to do, just not clear it. However they immediately start oxidizing and its a black film, so not sure how long it would take to get the petina like that. Usually takes years to get that. Thought about it, but don't have a spare to sit on the sidelines for now.
A chemically-induced patina can be made very quickly to look like that helmet. ;)

A chemically-induced patina can be made very quickly to look like that helmet. ;)

Looking to possibly do this to a pair to see what it might look like. However, I have found that speculating on anything custom, is a loser financially. Lenses, people will pay normal prices to get what they want, however when I have extra lenses that someone backs out of, or I just grab to have, I always take a financial loss on those to see them and get my money back out. I guess it makes sense, but all new projects always come from a customer asking for it, then we make it. Same for X-Man, if you notice whenever he posts a new product that everyone loves, it not his and its not for sale, its a customers who asked him to make it. Shocked, that the Ti CU pair on Ebay didnt sell, I have it at about a 35 dollar profit after fees and it didnt sell nor any questions for it. Shocked!!!!!!!!! There has not been a copper plated frame on eBay so don't know where the proper market really is. Plating takes many hours per frame, and if one of the several process goes not as perfect as we like, then you have to start over on that piece, so making something that looks awesome or ok, but no buyers, I would have to remake it to something that would possibly sell. Hope all that makes sense.

However, I have found that speculating on anything custom, is a loser financially.
Since we enjoy automotive analogies this phenomenon is why most high end vehicle dealers stock their lots with white, black and silver. I discovered this years ago when trying to run down a used E39 BMW 540i Sport- I'm too cheap to buy new lol.

There were plenty of blacks, whites and silvers but few blues and reds. Dealers just don't invest in what "might" sell but rather in what "will" sell so the secondary market was well-stocked with plain colors.

... Shocked, that the Ti CU pair on Ebay didnt sell, I have it at about a 35 dollar profit after fees and it didnt sell nor any questions for it. Shocked!!!!!!!!! There has not been a copper plated frame on eBay so don't know where the proper market really is. .

Sadly majority of the market are average Joe who likes being conservative. I guess that's why new Oakleys have been somewhat boring and the justification of the new Covert collection...

Hi was wondering does it matter what kind of frames you have to get copper plated or is there a better one? Is polished better that plasma or is carbon better etc?

Cheers

Hey, could you update us on the wait list for copper plating?
Still waiting to ship some parts...

Hi guys, it seems the copper madness started by @Ry.1982 has slowed down?
Hi @InfiniteHero, are you still doing these?

Ry turned it all over to me to work. The list was never finalized. We are taking Copper, Gold, Bright Nickel, or combinations of these frames at any time. We are lining them up according to first come first serve. usually several got done at once pending type. We had a few issues with the gold until we got a really high end plating gold in. (about $75 worth of gold on each frame). Solved the issues. However Copper we have two types, a bright version or a normal duller version. Just depends on undercoat for that look. No real examples at this time for that, but normal shiny or bright shiny are the choices.

Frame material makes no difference to us (rusted frames are extra). All frame are blasted first to base Ti material. The process takes about 3-5 hours per frame unless a part needs to be reworked, so a lot of effort goes into each one. My employee does the plating and I do the clearing and tightening of the frames before shipping out.

For right now we are backlogged ------- we have over 9 frames to work so tied up for about 4-6 weeks. Then will be ready for more. PM me for details and I can start a new list for this. Thanks, I get so many PM's per day I spend all my time there and not on the forum looking at threads. After doing that for hours, I forget about this thread. I appreciate all the business and my employee does also very much, so bear with us during this high volume time. Lens cutting is heavy now too, so trying to keep quality perfect while moving this stuff to you guys.

Thanks
Andrew